Logging flights

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

a&p cfiguy

How does everyone out there log their flights? Each leg, a few legs at once, the whole day...? Lets say you flew 8 short legs in one day, would you make eight seperate entries on 8 seperate lines? I heard some people say it looks more professional if you do it that way, but I think I'd get carple tunnel.

What about logbook pro? I've been using it for quite a while now. I bought it when I had about 1200 hours and spent a long, long, long, long time entering all my previous flights in. I also have one of those big Jepp logbooks which I still use. What I do is throughout the month I enter all my flights into my PDA, which eventally gets uploaded into my home computer, then at the end of the month, I handwrite everything into Jepp logbook. Is this extra step unnecessary? I would rather take in the Jepp logbook to an interview, and maybe print out a few reports from logbook pro. For some reason, I'm not too fond of printing out my logbook from logbook pro. I don't know why. What do some of you logbook pro users out there do? I absolutly love the program, but I also like my tradional logbook.

I use aerolog pro, personally. But many companies prefer to see the old fashion type logbook. But after a certain point no one seems to ask to see it any more.

When I was keeping a standard logbook, I kept a record of each leg. Mostly because I saw a fellow pilot get his butt out of trouble because he had a record to prove he did not fly a particular aircraft. Since the logbook is an official record, the FAA accepted it as proof that he did not fly a particular flight into an airport where they had a report on that aircraft. Plus I would make notes of other crewmembers names, passenger count and other notes of interest. Things that come in handy when I write my biography.

Here is my system:

I start a new line any time I switch Captains or tail numbers, and obviously for every new day. Other than that, for the route of flight I put where I started and ended for the day, with that cap or tail. Then in the remarks section, I put the flight number(s), the entire route of flight, the CA's name, and any approach information. That's it.

With that thinking I'd be making a new line for every other leg anyway. Seems like we are always having plane and crew swaps.

I just make an entry for every leg in a paper logbook. The bonus to that is it avoids rounding errors better. It's the way I have been doing it for 3 years of instructing and 2 years of commercial flying.

1 line per day, regardless of number of legs or A/C.

What the last two entries said- 1 line per day! I met a CA once with 6 logbooks! He logged each flt sep. lines! Too much work for me.

"I start a new line any time I switch Captains or tail numbers, and obviously for every new day. Other than that, for the route of flight I put where I started and ended for the day, with that cap or tail"

Ditto.

One line per month, one year per page for me. Too tiresome to log every leg or day. If I flew more than one type of A/C I'd log a separate line for each A/C type per month.

Latest resources

Back