logging dual given?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

acat

Do you have to log time "as flight instructor" every time you sign somebodies log book as "dual received"? I assume that you don't since you only need to log what shows currency but was curious.

Naw, the only thing you have to do is sign the student's logbook with your name, number, and expiration date.

Regarding liability, it's a good idea to make certain that you have a log of what you covered during that lesson with your student. You certainly don't want the FAA to have to rely on a student logbook for that information. This is why if I don't have separate records for student progress and/or items covered, I write it in my logbook.

....and, absent documentation, you're screwed if anything goes wrong. I think of this as being an unacceptable risk, therefore, I document everything.

It's kinda funny, I didn't really start doing this until I got my MEI less than a year ago. I used a different DPE than I usually used and picked up a LOT about how to document......and this was after a thousand hours of dual given.

/preaching. :D

Last edited:
I fly corporate and use flight students as copilots. I have been signing their books so that they're able to log it but wasn't sure if I needed to keep a record of it in my book. It's been a while since I have been in a flight school environment giving actual instruction.

I fly corporate and use flight students as copilots. I have been signing their books so that they're able to log it but wasn't sure if I needed to keep a record of it in my book. It's been a while since I have been in a flight school environment giving actual instruction.

I saw a guy on pprune.org looking to buy some King Air 200 time. You don't happen to fly one of those, do ya?

In terms of FAA requirements, the only record a CFI is required to keep is covered in 61.189:

==============================
§ 61.189 Flight instructor records.

(a) A flight instructor must sign the logbook of each person to whom that instructor has given flight training or ground training.

(b) A flight instructor must maintain a record in a logbook or a separate document that contains the following:

(1) The name of each person whose logbook or student pilot certificate that instructor has endorsed for solo flight privileges, and the date of the endorsement; and

(2) The name of each person that instructor has endorsed for a knowledge test or practical test, and the record shall also indicate the kind of test, the date, and the results.

(c) Each flight instructor must retain the records required by this section for at least 3 years.
==============================

Of course, like many things FAA, these are bare minimums and doing it means that you haven't violated a reg. Good business practices for a professional may suggest something else.

A word of advice to instructors...when you sign a student pilots logbook, make sure you document each item that is required in there training for a particular certificate. Part 61 lists these manuevers and items. If it's not in the book and an accident/ incident should occur, the logbook might be the only means of determining liability.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back