• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

logging cross country

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The regulation that a landing not be required was added as a change to the FAR's because of the military pilots who were flying tankers for long distance refueling flights of thousands of miles. When they returned, before this FAR change, this was just a "local" flight. So for this reason the FAR was changed to say that a pilot must only fly over a point more than 50 NM from his/her original departure point. As has been pointed out this only applies to cross country time being logged to meet the cross country flight time requirements for the ATP certificate.

This is what you all need to read. Straight from the horse's mouth.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8400/media/volume5/5_002_01.pdf

FLIGHT EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS
FOR THE AIRPLANE CATEGORY.​
Each appl i -
cant for an ATP certificate in an airplane category rating
must meet each of the following seven experience
requirements.

C. Hours of Cross-Country.​
At least 500 flight hours
must have been accumulated as a pilot in cross-country
flight. Cross-country time is that time acquired during
flight from a departure point to a destination point that is
not the same as the departure point. It is also time
acquired in a flight that is cross-country in nature even
though the departure and destination points are the same
(such as forestry patrol).

mcjohn said:
Now that I'm past the commercial rating can I start logging time in the X-C column of my log book for flights where I fly to and land at an airport less than 50 nm away?
You always could.

A cross country by any definition is logable in the cross country column. The definitions tell us what they "count" for more than anything else.

It's a convenience issue. If you need >50 NM cross countries, it's just easier to use the cross country column exclusively for them so you can add them up easily.

Well, what about for the ATP requirement of more than 50nm. Is that overriden if you land somewhere short of 50nm? I think I need to make a second X-C column in my logbook. I'd hate to have to go back through and dig out the ones that were over 50nm once I have 12-1500 hours. What's the best way to do it?

mcjohn said:
Well, what about for the ATP requirement of more than 50nm. Is that overridden if you land somewhere short of 50nm?
I'm not sure what you mean by "overridden." In order to count for the ATP cross country requirements, a flight needs to be to a point that is >50 NM away from where you started, whether or not you land.

I think I need to make a second X-C column in my logbook. I'd hate to have to go back through and dig out the ones that were over 50nm once I have 12-1500 hours. What's the best way to do it?
Whichever way makes it easiest for you to keep track of them and total them. If paper, multiple columns do the trick. If electronic, you can also add additional fields but there may be other methods depending on the capability of your logbook.

Latest resources

Back