logging cross country

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Da Vinci

i'm flying all over the country doing fcc testing. about 3 months ago, and 200 or some hours, i let some fool tell me that i can log cross country time anytime the airplane flys over 50nm from the departure airport. some of our tests extend well past 50nm so like a fool, i took this fool's advise and started logging tons of cross country. well...now that my time is building and i'm starting to think about the next step, i'm rethinking my cross country logging decsion. and...i can't find where the far's actually say i can do that. anyone heard of this??? i'm asking before i have to get a new log book and start all over again. and what is the best electronic log book out there???? thank you for any advise.

-and yes i do have a CFI and yes i should be able to find the answer and yes i'm lazy and i'm not that good at finding stuff like this in the fars!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You normally have to actually land at a point 50NM or greater from the departure airport to count flight time as X-country for ratings (ie ATP). I believe that x-country experience for 135 purposes is different in that any flight to another airport counts, but you should look that one up.

Cross-country requires a landing at another airport - it can be across the street or 1000 miles away and it can still be logged as cross-country time. But most ratings require that it be 50 miles away.
Here is the way the FAR puts it:

3) Cross-country time means—

(i) Except as provided in paragraphs (b)(3)(ii) through (b)(3)(vi) of this section, time acquired during flight—
(A) Conducted by a person who holds a pilot certificate;
(B) Conducted in an aircraft;
(C) That includes a landing at a point other than the point of departure; and
(D) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
(ii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements (except for a rotorcraft category rating), for a private pilot certificate (except for a powered parachute category rating), a commercial pilot certificate, or an instrument rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges (except in a rotorcraft) under §61.101 (c), time acquired during a flight—
(A) Conducted in an appropriate aircraft;
(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
(iii) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for a sport pilot certificate (except for powered parachute privileges), time acquired during a flight conducted in an appropriate aircraft that—
(A) Includes a point of landing at least a straight line distance of more than 25 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(B) Involves, as applicable, the use of dead reckoning; pilotage; electronic navigation aids; radio aids; or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
(iv) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for a sport pilot certificate with powered parachute privileges or a private pilot certificate with a powered parachute category rating, time acquired during a flight conducted in an appropriate aircraft that—
(A) Includes a point of landing at least a straight line distance of more than 15 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(B) Involves, as applicable, the use of dead reckoning; pilotage; electronic navigation aids; radio aids; or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
(v) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for any pilot certificate with a rotorcraft category rating or an instrument-helicopter rating, or for the purpose of exercising recreational pilot privileges, in a rotorcraft, under §61.101(c), time acquired during a flight—
(B) That includes a point of landing that was at least a straight-line distance of more than 25 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems to navigate to the landing point.
(vi) For the purpose of meeting the aeronautical experience requirements for an airline transport pilot certificate (except with a rotorcraft category rating), time acquired during a flight—
(B) That is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and
(C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems.
(vii) For a military pilot who qualifies for a commercial pilot certificate (except with a rotorcraft category rating) under §61.73 of this part, time acquired during a flight—
(B) That is at least a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles from the original point of departure; and (C) That involves the use of dead reckoning, pilotage, electronic navigation aids, radio aids, or other navigation systems.

Last edited:
aroden:

if you read the quote from the 14 CFR that you've included in your post you should see that landings are NOT required for ATP and for military equivalency.

Da Vinci:

14 CFR 61.1 (b)(3)

AK 47 is correct, for the purposes of meeting the qualifications for an ATP certificate, no landing is required. Read 61.1(a)(3)(vi). There is no requirement for a landing, just that hte flight is more than 50 nm from the point of departure.

SO you were told correctly, in that context. I'm assuming you have a commercial certificate, so those requirements are not relevan for you.

That time could not be used to meet part 135 minimums, as the 135 requirements would use the more general definition of cross country, which requires a landing.

Noting wrong with logging that in your logbook, so don't panic. Just be aware that it won't count for meeting the requirements for 135 minimums.

rickair7777 said:
You normally have to actually land at a point 50NM or greater from the departure airport to count flight time as X-country for ratings (ie ATP). I believe that x-country experience for 135 purposes is different in that any flight to another airport counts, but you should look that one up.

Wrong. It does count towards the ATP, but for private, comm, etc. B-2 pilots fly across an entire ocean, drop bombs, cross ocean for he 2nd time and land at the same airport they departed 16 hours prior. is that not XC?

rickair7777 said:

Ooops, I switched ATP and 135. What the previous posters said is correct, 135 requires the landings, ATP does not.

That's correct AK47...I missed that. But to my credit, it's WAY down at the bottom of my FAR quote - nobody can be expected to read that much of the FARs in one sitting and still see straight.

I believe for 135 mins you just have to land at another airport. There is no 50nm requirement.

RefugePilot said:
I believe for 135 mins you just have to land at another airport. There is no 50nm requirement.

That is correct. Just one airport to another for 135.

Latest resources

Back