Logbooks

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Brasilia Flyer

Just catching up on my logbook. Just curious. . . Do you guys enter by the leg, the day, the trip, the month, or the year?

Anyone know what the majors, SWA, or Fedex perfer?

I need to figure out an efficient system.

Incompleteness if frowned upon in general. Unless the tail number chagnes, I make a single multi-leg entry for each day, listing each airport in the departure and destination columns using small print. If the tail number changes I go ahead and move to the next line.

Format is probably not important to the big picture.

However, your future employers want to see a clean, oraganized and neat logbook that contains the details of your career. you should find the time to put a sticky next to each entry where there is a checkride or other aviation milestone in your logbook.

Personally, I have done one-leg-one-line for the past 16 years and this has worked out nicely on interview day.

Sincerely,

B. Franklin

About a year ago I started doing it by the day. I just got tired of it taking hours to catch up and burning through those Jepp logbooks in no time at all. Regardless of changing aircraft or destinations, I log one line for one day. All tail numbers flown in small print, starting and ending cities in the to/from spaces, and all cities in between in the remarks section.

I've had interviews at both airline and non-airline jobs since and no one seems to really care. Let's face it, by the time you're ready to move on and have several thousand hours, as long as it is neat and you can follow it, they really don't care.

How about you guys with logbook pro. If you keep an electronic log book, do you keep the paper one as well? How about when you convert over. Is it acceptable to start with where your paper book leaves off? I guess I'm just weighing my options before I start logging a years worth of trips.

I log a day at a time and start a new line when I change Captains or airplanes. I am about to finish a logbook (I already have, just haven't been motivated to update it) and am strongly considering going all electronic. I keep an electronic backup now so it wouldn't be a real big deal switching over. I'm really tired of of updating my logbook by hand and every mistake I make drives me crazy. Electronic is clean and neat and any mistakes I make can be fixed without a strike-through-and-initial.

I log day by day.

Why do you guys write a new line when you have a plane change? I just use the tail number of the first aircraft I fly that day.

Assuming the type/model of aircraft is the same why would someone care what the tail numbers are for each and every leg?

-CF

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back