• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Logbook snafu

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Make a single line entry with todays date. Don't put aircraft type, departure or arrival points. In each column in the log, enter the number to make things correct; a minus for time you need to deduct, a plus for time you need to add. in the remarks column, note that these are corrections, and list the page numbers for reference. If you want to be really fastidigious (high speed) about it, go back to each page number, make a single line through the error, write in the correction discretely and in a professional manner, and in very small letters mark each with your initials.

Nobody expects you not to make mistakes, nor to redo your log if you do have errors. That you find them and discreetly take care of them is just fine. Don't make a new logbook. You'll have math and logging errors in the future. Don't make them obvious with correction fluid, starting new pages, crossing things out wholesale...show it with accountability and move on. Not a big deal.

correction fluid! classic. You must have been born before 1945 Avbug. Am i close?

captainover – I had a similar problem not too long ago when I interviewed at UPS. They spend lots of time looking over your logbooks page by page, so I was nervous to say the least.

I realized some time ago that I made several errors in my logbook and they were spread over different days (even months). I used the last page of my logbook at the time and wrote with large letters “Logbook Audit.” Then, on the same page, I put the corrections in the appropriate columns using a plus or a minus sign in front of each correction, such as PIC 11.0, ME 11.0, or Turbine + 2.4, etc, etc. Then at the bottom of the page, I added/subtracted it all up and used those numbers from the next page and on.

Also, right next to each correction I put tiny letters “A”, “B”, etc. Then at the bottom of the page I’d explain: “A”- on May 12, 2001, I made an error regarding my Total Flight time. The correct number was xxx.x, and that error has been corrected as of 18 July, 2004. “B” – on August 24 2003, … etc, etc. At the very bottom of the page, I signed and dated the audit, and also included a short statement saying something like: “the audit has been completed and to the best of my knowledge it represents accurate flight times.” Can’t remember exactly, but this is close to what I wrote.

Like I said, they spent lots of time with my logbook but from what I’ve heard from numerous people - that’s normal. At the end of the interview, one of the HR folks even said “thanks for keeping your logbooks legible - makes my job so much easier.” (My handwriting sucks by the way, but I guess it was good enough to make it legible ;)) Must have worked because I got hired! :)

Stay away from whiteout/greenout; they get very suspicious when they see it being used.

Don’t sweat your logbook, they’ve seen it all! Good luck!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back