Logbook snafu

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captainover

I was totaling up my logbook the other day when I came across a few glaring errors in addition of times from over a year ago (several hundred hours back). DOH! Actually, I was shorting myself about twelve hours. Soon, I hope to interview with a couple of places. My question is what to do. Obviously, this would not reflect well on the "attention to detail" category of an interview.
It seems I have three options: 1. Correct the totals with green out over the span of many, many pages; or 2. buy a new logbook and copy each and every entry from the old one (and add correctly at the bottom); or 3. buy logbook pro and do it on the computer.
The logbook in question has a several "dual" entries, but none were for any FAA checkride dual requirements but rather just company reqs. Plus, I could just keep the logbook for proof of original entries.
I don't know much about logbookpro or any such products. I wonder if the printed out version would be acceptable in an interview. Any pro/con input would help alot.
Thanks. Happy New Year!

I would put the correction, with the date of the error(s) into the next open line and continue from there. Much neater.

I agree. I just mad a new entry called correction and in the remarks put error from previous additions. No harm no foul. It happens all the time.

If you're taking a show of hands, I say ditto to the previous replies.

I agree, start a new page with correct numbers so they see it is on the up and up. You show 2000 on the avtar, other option is to forget it and give up the 12 hours. The kiss of death is being off the other way.
I don't know about airlines but in 18 years I have never shown my log book to anybody, had 5 or 6 interviews, but still keep it to the tenth just in case.

I would like to see a logbook that was not full of corrections!
I would rather add or subtract time in my book with a note "correction" than have a bunch of White ( or green ) Out. You would think people would ask about the white out before they see you noticed a mistake and corrected it.
just 2 cents.

Make a single line entry with todays date. Don't put aircraft type, departure or arrival points. In each column in the log, enter the number to make things correct; a minus for time you need to deduct, a plus for time you need to add. in the remarks column, note that these are corrections, and list the page numbers for reference. If you want to be really fastidigious (high speed) about it, go back to each page number, make a single line through the error, write in the correction discretely and in a professional manner, and in very small letters mark each with your initials.

Nobody expects you not to make mistakes, nor to redo your log if you do have errors. That you find them and discreetly take care of them is just fine. Don't make a new logbook. You'll have math and logging errors in the future. Don't make them obvious with correction fluid, starting new pages, crossing things out wholesale...show it with accountability and move on. Not a big deal.

I happen to have logbook pro and love it. It is great for correcting any errors you find and all you have to do is make the change and reprint your logbook. I recently had an interview at a major and both pilots commented on how awsome my computer printed logbook was.

Latest resources

Back