Living in/flying from Kiev and Moscow?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

capnflyright

Has anyone spent a significant amount of time in Ukraine or Russia? How are the living conditions? What should a person look out for (Crime, etc.)? How did you arrange your banking? Any info would be great. Thank you in advance.

Do you speak Russian? Have you ever BEEN to Moscow? Incredible place, lots of wonderful things to do and see, but it's not for everyone. I'd recommend it without hesitation if you are familiar with the culture and language.....

I don't speak the language and I haven't been there yet. I have been offered a contract flying position in either Kiev or Moscow and want to get some background info before rushing into something I may not be prepared for.

capnflyright said:
Has anyone spent a significant amount of time in Ukraine or Russia? How are the living conditions? What should a person look out for (Crime, etc.)? How did you arrange your banking? Any info would be great. Thank you in advance.

Moscow is great - for about 2 days.

Living there full time? no way IMHO. To live well one must make a lot of money - Upper West Side NY type money. I believe Moscow was recently ranked the worlds 2nd most expensive city next to Tokyo.

I cant see how a pilot could make enough to live there and enjoy it. The sights are limited, English is very common. Russian is a hard language. Crime does not seem too bad, I have taken the subway many times...no prob. My experiences with locals has been very positive, the people seem pretty nice! Although late at night there are lots of drunks..and after spending some time there I can see why one may drink often.

IMHO Russia is VERY RICH or VERY POOR, makes our shrinking middle class look huge. The young New Rich in Russia do seem to have a serious good time.... Night Flight Club (Tverskaya Street, 17) is a hot spot, I have seen some wild stuff there!

Enjoyable? not a bit as far as Im concerned. Very polluted, very dreary, very limited recreation. Winter very cold, summer can be brutally hot - only place I have experienced worse air quality is India. The russians clear thier forest by torching them...so much that the undergrond catches fire and smolders for months. It smells like pig$hit and creates a lovely haze that can choke a bear.

Banking? there are full service US banks in Russia. Citibank (I know), JP Morgan (I think) etc.. to name a few. ATMs all over..etc...they still do rubles, but many hotels, travel planners, etc..run by "units" which is the equivelent of the US dollar. They are still weary of the ruble from the 90s crash.

The babes in Russia are very hot...except they all have very bad teeth. Make the brits look pearly white.

Flying in/out of there - pretty easy. Metric/QFE enviornment still in effect. I think they are the only QFE left at this point. Controllers fairly easy to understand until you get the local (tower) guys at night - then its a guessing game. It helps to fly a nicely equppied and capable aircraft - All Glass/EGPWS/TAWS etc..as sometimes it feels like you are on your own.

Im sure others will have more info, just giving you an opinion.

Good Luck with your choice.

Last edited:
Ask the question on pprune.org. A lot more international pilots over there. Good luck.TC

Have to agree with Gulfstream on the cost of living in Moscow. I was recently offered a citation FO position, 3000 a month, but there is NO WAY my family and I could live on that kind of money in Moscow, and we are Russian. By all accounts of friends who live there and live "comfortably" you need at least 6 or 7 grand a month. Banking is no big deal. ATMs are everywhere, and I've never had trouble using one with my US bank card to get Rubles. Russian Women are beautiful, the people are some of the most giving you'll ever meet, but as you probably are coming to understand, Moscow is not for everyone...

Also, be very, very careful who you accept a position with in Moscow. The current status symbol for the new wealthy Russians is a private jet, but not everyone who owns one is going to follow the accepted rules: I've heard of some who fly without adequate insurance because "we're in the business of flying, not crashing" or may demand you to be willing to fly in inappropriate conditions. That said, if the right opportunity came along, I'd be there in a nanosecond....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back