• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Likely to happen?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Copied from a thread on another message board.

"It also is a fact that traditonally there has been only one major airline berth for every 7-10 applicants...........and that was in GOOD hiring times. With future contraction/stagnation, 7-8 out of 10 current regional pilots will NEVER make a major carrier. When it comes to these two freight carriers whose hiring is very limited even when they do hire, the odds are better of getting a call from Jennifer Aniston for a date or a knock at the door from Publishers Clearinghouse with a $1,000,000 check.

Many of these pilots still dream the dream, but for most it's too painful to consider the likely probability they'll never see it. For most, if they choose to stay in this "profession", they'll have to be content with retiring on a 70-90 seat RJ. Some will come to terms with that but others will become emotional basket cases around their 40th birthday. I assume in about 6-8 years there will be Youtube footage of late 30's regional captains (and F/O's !) sobbing like schoolgirls in various airline bathrooms or unexaplainably attacking garbage cans or Starbucks baristas.

There's a wave of mental health issues soon to come at the regionals that may thin their ranks as complete and total mental crackups begin to accelerate.

A shame it will be."

Can you please change your screen name and avatar. You are embarassing the entire african american race with your idiotic cum-guzzling fubar.

they're already going nuts since a pilot with a blue shirt beat up a cabbie in florida, right? last year? another one went streaking in knoxville . while yet another was caught ( the only smart one) having sex with the FA.

If you love to fly do us all a favor and rent a plane on weekends. I love to feed my family and you're getting in the way with your upbeat attitudes in an eroding profession.

While flying is enjoyable, fighting with my wife and borrowing money isn't. Yet this industry is littered with people who want bars on their shoulders so people will see them differently. Who cares? Pay me what I'm worth instead of diluting my accomplishments so I can compete with someone who "loves to fly" at any cost.

Without even factoring in the years I slaved to make it to the regionals, it's a sad fact that I've flown jets for almost 6 years and have yet to make over $40,000. Next year is another story, but one that should have been told 5 years ago.

Don't have to rent, I own

If you love to fly do us all a favor and rent a plane on weekends. I love to feed my family and you're getting in the way with your upbeat attitudes in an eroding profession.

While flying is enjoyable, fighting with my wife and borrowing money isn't. Yet this industry is littered with people who want bars on their shoulders so people will see them differently. Who cares? Pay me what I'm worth instead of diluting my accomplishments so I can compete with someone who "loves to fly" at any cost.

Without even factoring in the years I slaved to make it to the regionals, it's a sad fact that I've flown jets for almost 6 years and have yet to make over $40,000. Next year is another story, but one that should have been told 5 years ago.
I own my own airplane so I don't have to rent. Then of course I fly warbirds for free. 11 jobs since I left the Navy in 1977, never made over 100K, coming out the other end in come shape. Industry has been good to me.

I own my own airplane so I don't have to rent. Then of course I fly warbirds for free. 11 jobs since I left the Navy in 1977, never made over 100K, coming out the other end in come shape. Industry has been good to me.

I admire your positivity and respect your career. You and I have different goals and ideas of what to expect from flying.

just a tip

I admire your positivity and respect your career. You and I have different goals and ideas of what to expect from flying.
If you expect nothing you will never be disappointed

The odds must be better than reported---cause, YOU MADE IT!
I normally don't like the petty arguing on FI, but this just made my last 60 seconds.

Seriously though, the snapshot figuring browntothebone used to make these odds are about as faulty as those who went to Skywest in 2008 banking on a 2 year upgrade. You can't just look at a recent snapshot, it's short sighted.

Here's some counterfiguring for the bigger picture, you do the math.

If you're in your 20's or even low 30's, what percentage of major airline pilots are older than you? By how much?

How much money are major airlines going to save on labor by outsourcing to regionals vs. how much of a hit are they going to take on fuel costs while prices go up?

How many student pilots do you know today vs. 5 or 10 years ago?

Do you buy into that your shot at a major airline job at some point down the line in your career is really 1 in 10?

Latest resources

Back