Life @ Flight Options

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I wonder if I will get an apology from Mr. FracPilot

No, you won't. If you do not have it in writing, it's worth nothing. Too many policies are passed down via voicemails at this company, and if things don't go right, they will fry you and deny that voicemail exists, or claim that there was a superceding voicemail. I've been here a long time guys, I know what I speak of. This is the first I have heard of this supposedly new "policy", but until it comes out in writing, it doesn't exist as far as I am concerned.

Funny thing is, FracPilot, is that my SOPs seem to say that it is up to the PMs discretion to make the seat swapping rules. You should read them.

You're right. It does say "Deviations shall be at the discretion of the PM". Get that deviation approval in writing, and you have something. Otherwise, it's no good.

In the beechjet and Hawker programs this is the case, the program managers have decided that the first officer can fly with pax from the left seat

Which Beechjet and Hawker programs? Both of each type? Which PM's have sent out these voicemails?

King Air

It the same in the King Air fleet. We are swapping legs and seats no matter who is in the back. That rule was stupid from the get go. We all go to the same school and get the same training. Therefore we should be allowed to fly form the left anytime. I know somebody is going to say that is the captains responsiblity if something happens. Well the samething can happen if the fo if flying from the right seat. Just my .02.

They MAY officially change the policy, but swapping seats on ANY leg should ALWAYS be at the Captains discretion, IMHO.

Hey Fracpilot, this isn't brain surgery what we are doing here. Yes, I do agree that it is up to the PIC on who gets to fly from what seat and during what times. The ONLY reason you are PIC and your FO isn't is because you were hired first! That's it brutha! So please, stop pretending to be Chuck Yeager and acting like you are the chosen one. Remember, most of us used to be captains at previous jobs, so knock off the "I will not let FO's fly from the left seat with pax on board" crap. Fly safe.

If you do not have it in writing, it's worth nothing.QUOTE]

I agree 100 %. Voice mails don't count as far as the Feds are concerned. In addition, if the word "deviation" is associated with this verbal permission, that's a slippery slope for sure.

Hey Fracpilot, this isn't brain surgery what we are doing here. Yes, I do agree that it is up to the PIC on who gets to fly from what seat and during what times. The ONLY reason you are PIC and your FO isn't is because you were hired first! That's it brutha! So please, stop pretending to be Chuck Yeager and acting like you are the chosen one. Remember, most of us used to be captains at previous jobs, so knock off the "I will not let FO's fly from the left seat with pax on board" crap.

In case you didn't understand, I stated that I will not let FO's fly from the left seat with pax on board because it is COMPANY POLICY, and I am not going to risk my job just to let somebody fly from the left seat. If the policy is changed - it definitely has not been in my fleet - then I will allow it. I don't care which seat I sit in. If I am the PIC, I make the final decision, but if I have a competent FO - of which I have only flown with ONE here that I do not consider competent to fly pax from the left seat - then he or she will be flying every other leg, from the seat of their choice, regardless of pax or not.

You seem a bit upset about something. If you are paired with somebody that does not treat you as a professional pilot, and speaking about it with him/her does nothing, request a change from your PM. This job is not worth doing if you are unhappy.

To NJAOwner

Mr. NJA Owner, if you want to learn about the NJA crew policies that directly you at the fractional company that you do business with, find out through offical channels.

You seem a bit upset about something

I agree. Sounds like a grumpy FO that needs his ego stroked by sitting in the left seat. I could care less which seat I sit in when I fly. Left or right. Who cares. :eek:

Latest resources

Back