• Start date
  • Watchers 18

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am tired of lame old ALPA and their tired old game. Let's start an in-house union at ASA. The dues would be less expensive and the service would be better. How do you vote out a union? I will ask my friends at US Air and see what it takes. It's time for a change.

You are breathing good oxygen. Please stop. Or, are you?

You are breathing good oxygen. Please stop. Or, are you?

This guy has been writing this "screw the pilots-and their union" stuff for years. He is a training guy who has been trying to weasel his way into upper mgmt since he was hired. They don't want him any more than we do.

Your decisions (and mistakes) are already your own. ALPA national doesn't make decisions for you, as much as you wish they did just so you could pass the buck. :rolleyes:

Uh oh! Somebody who actually has facts! I'm sure sunlitpath will just ignore them, of course.

How much money has ALPA wasted, total, trying to schmooze the SkyWest pilots into buying their snake oil?

How much money has ALPA wasted, total, trying to schmooze the SkyWest pilots into buying their snake oil?

They wasted a lot of money, sure, but it was based on the appearance of SkyWest pilots wanting a union. Turns out, they just wanted a pay raise by scaring management into thinking so.

After being burned a couple times over there, I don't think ALPA will drop everything and respond to the cries of pilots who want to unionize next time. Given that the pilots' compensation package at SkyWest is in direct correlation of how likely management feels unionization is a possibility, SkyWest pilots might find it's not so easy to get a pay raise next time.

This guy has been writing this "screw the pilots-and their union" stuff for years. He is a training guy who has been trying to weasel his way into upper mgmt since he was hired. They don't want him any more than we do.

BW? Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were.

Even with the problems ALPA has, we're better off with ALPA than an 'in-house association', because that's all it would be. This association wouldn't have enough bucks to match the services we get from ALPA. ALPA, despite their negatives, still has a wealth of legal help for pilots, medical help for those w/ medical problems, and many other resources. ASA pilots actually receive more than we pay in.

If you want changes BW, why don't you run for office? That goes for anybody actually. If you're dissatisfied with our current MEC leadership team, they can be replaced if enough pilots get behind a change. Hey it worked for Obama!

Hoser
Capt Mark Scardino
ROLL TIDE!

After being burned a couple times over there, I don't think ALPA will drop everything and respond to the cries of pilots who want to unionize next time. Given that the pilots' compensation package at SkyWest is in direct correlation of how likely management feels unionization is a possibility, SkyWest pilots might find it's not so easy to get a pay raise next time.

You are right. It took ALPA 8 years after their loss in '99, by only 8 votes, to try again for SkyWest. This time with a loss by 15%, I doubt that ALPA will even think about us again for at least a full decade.

Last edited:
I am tired of lame old ALPA and their tired old game. Let's start an in-house union at ASA. The dues would be less expensive and the service would be better. How do you vote out a union? I will ask my friends at US Air and see what it takes. It's time for a change.

No... It'll be the same politics with a new name.

BW? Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it were.

Even with the problems ALPA has, we're better off with ALPA than an 'in-house association', because that's all it would be. This association wouldn't have enough bucks to match the services we get from ALPA. ALPA, despite their negatives, still has a wealth of legal help for pilots, medical help for those w/ medical problems, and many other resources. ASA pilots actually receive more than we pay in.

If you want changes BW, why don't you run for office? That goes for anybody actually. If you're dissatisfied with our current MEC leadership team, they can be replaced if enough pilots get behind a change. Hey it worked for Obama!

Hoser
Capt Mark Scardino
ROLL TIDE!

100% agreed....

Some things I really like about our MEC, but the fact that you NEVER, EVER see them in the lounge, talking to the actual pilot group in person makes them look lazy.

Let's see- How many times have Scott and Charlie (as much as I dislike that duo) come over to have little "Q&A sessions" in the last few years? How many times has anyone seen DN in the lounge?

-Sure doesn't look good to the average line pilot.

100% agreed....

Some things I really like about our MEC, but the fact that you NEVER, EVER see them in the lounge, talking to the actual pilot group in person makes them look lazy.

Let's see- How many times have Scott and Charlie (as much as I dislike that duo) come over to have little "Q&A sessions" in the last few years? How many times has anyone seen DN in the lounge?

-Sure doesn't look good to the average line pilot.

I've only seen our MEC in the loung a couple of times.......but I've seen them at the Break Pad, in College Park, several times. My favorite was calling to talk to a representative about something serious, and hearing him studder and stammer through the responses, all with an XBox blaring in the background with a video game on.......

ALPA has it's faults, and it's certainly not perfect, but it's better than any in house union could ever hope to be. If you don't like what's going on, then you need to run for an office, Sunlit. Don't be bashful- stand up and lay it out on the line about what you stand for. After all, ALPA is an association made up of pilots, and it's only as strong as the pilots. If you think they are weak, vote them out and find replacement representatives. Frankly, I hold nothing against many in the MEC/LEC- I'm friends with many of them. But, it's time to cycle some new blood in there, in my opinion, anyway.

I think I'd rather have no union, than an inhouse union. And for the record, not all USAirways pilots are happy with USAPA- I happen to know this for fact, and not just the west guys either...........

Latest resources

Back