Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Gatorman

Snot-nosed college boy!!
Where have you worked before and would you go back there if given the opportunity?

Have you ever kicked yourself for leaving and tried to go back?

-or-

How long have you been working where you are now?

I gave up working airlines and reenlisted in the IN ANG. Currently working as a Civil Service F-16C+ Crew Chief again...and making $6.00 an hour (WG-10 step 1) more than I did at the airline after 4 years! WG-10 step 1 is the lowest end of the pay scale I can go, and I'll be due a raise in a few months. :)

Job security rules...and we don't go bankrupt or have strikes. Our "road trips" are better too. ;)

Last edited:
Challenger mechanic

I started out by joining the Marines and was assigned to VMFA-115 (The Silver Eagles) the first F/A-18 Marine squadron on the east coast, got my good cookie and got out, got my A&P at Spartan and landed the best gig ever with KC Aviation in Dallas.
Funny, I thought that when I was hired to be on 'Challenger' Crew, I was going to be working on the space shuttle.
Little did I know that I was going to be working on one the most prestigious aircraft in the corporate world.
Never-the-less, I was with the best completion outfitting company five years running (pro pilot mag) and it was a good thing going...until.
Until Gulfstream; who had 19 green aircraft sitting on their ramp in SAV collecting corrosion, waiting to be completed, bought KC Aviation to bail them out. Quickily we, the Challenger crew, were pushed aside and moved to the 'F' hanger (or exile hangar as I called it). I heard form a recorded tele-comference that Mr. Forstman said that "I do not want any prospective Gulfstream customer coming to a Gulfstream facility and seeing anything other that Gulfstreams being worked on". Hence- Exile Hangar.
I transfered to the Planning Dept. and helped the new era come of age...until 9/11.
I was transfered to the newly aquired General Dynamics Aviation Services (formally known as Signature maintenance dept) when 9/11 happened and four days later I was RIF'd (reduction in work force).

I did a year at Regal, a charter outfit at Love Field. I feel like I helped it out of some for their problems in their QA dept. Then they had a bloody Friday and let all of the maintenence dept (and me) go.

Spent just over two years at McKinney Aerospace geting Challenger on their repair station certificate. Did and outstanding job with some new customers. Was waiting for more work or promotion after the Challenge program manager passed away and nothing ever happened. Reading the writing on the wall (which said 'EXIT') I left McKinney and took and Maintenance Coordinator position where I am at now (undisclosed location at Love Field).

Yes, I would love to have been able to go back to Gulfstream, but there is this one person in HR....well you get the picture.

As far as kicking myself....naw, I have learned and grown from where I have been to where I am now, a better place.

I hope you all have better stories than this.....

I did nine years of active duty in the Marine Corps and one year in the reserves. HML 771 (UH1 Es & Ns),VMA 224 (A6 E), VMAQ 2 (EA6 B), VMAT 202 (A6 E & TC4 C) & HMM 774 (CH 46). I was a Plane Capt. on the fixed wing and a Crew Chief on the rotor wing. I got my A&P from OJT in the Corps.

Latest resources

Back