Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mar

Remember this one?
A few weeks ago there was a thread about an older military type that chewed out some young punk after he checked his oil with the engine (and prop) running.

Or something like that.

The thing that's been stuck in my head since then was Typhoon 1244 comment that we all go through a daredevil phase.

So I've been reflecting on my own self-induced near-brushes with the Grim Reaper--and decided I've had at least two daredevil phases.

It seems to me that at some point I become really comfortable in my present equipment. Then I start pushing things, testing those limitations, get a little scared and then back off.

Natural or not? Tell me.

Last edited:
this isn't related, but; there's nothing worse than people that think they can evaluate your professionalism as a pilot by your 'electronic comments' on a message board.

The fear of judgement

Don't worry man. You may not know this but you and I have worked for the same man but at different times.

All I gotta say is Camai Air/Village Aviation and the boss was BL.

Am I right? I know what kind of a job you had. I did the same one. But I don't care what people think (anymore).

I'm good at my job though I've made mistakes (really dumb ones too!).

Just roll with it and try not to loose your sense of humor.:D

Very good! Well done!

So. Chperplt has demonstrated his firm grasp on the concept of having a sense of humor.

Well done.

But I didn't really want to learn about your adolescent sexual exploits there chopper boy.

How about a flying story?

I would have to say the dumbest thing I ever did, other than snaprolling a rickety old 207, was putting all six seats up in a 207 while enroute. I had to trim it quite a bit nose down, going back and forth until I got it right, then threw myself at either side wall to counter some rolling tendencies. I even got all six seat pins in.

This might be dumber, actually. Once I had the cargo strap hanging out the cargo door banging the side of the airplane. I went back, opened the door, and pulled the strap in. The kicker was that it was the aft-most door, the one that opens into the slip stream. Really dumb.

I really don't see how checking your oil with the engine running can be considered dangerous. Pretty much standard procedure in my world.

Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof.

WrightAvia said:
Admit nothing, deny everything, demand proof.

Hell Yeah!!!

It's been a long time since I have heard that wise axiom. But I remember it as, "Admit nothing, deny everything, and make counter-accusations."

I like your taste in movies as well. ;)

As far as this thread goes, I should probably say something topic related as I hate it when dickheads post off-topic.

I am so new to flying I haven't entered my dare devil phase yet. Just doing stalls by myself puckers my asshole right now.

However I do recall a few times on a lonely stretch of highway doing 160 mph in a tricked out Mustang Cobra. (does that count as flying?)

I did most of my instrument training under the hood...the weather was just too good in east Tennessee that season.

The very day I got my instrument ticket, I blasted off into hard IMC for a trip from Knoxville to Crossville, Tennessee, to visit a girlfriend. I remember looking around inside the clouds and thinking, "I sure wish I could peek out from under this hood!" Stupid...I had no business being out there. But I was young and indestructible, so off I went.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back