LED flashlight recommendation wanted

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
erj-145mech said:
The problem with the Surefires is 1.) Cost, 2.)requires non standard batteries that you have to buy from Surefire.

You dont have to buy the batteries from surefire. It's just their own brand. I think even if you buy them it comes down to $1.25 each. It's still cheaper than buying 4 C cells i think last time i checked. Plus the CR123 batteries have a 10 year shelf like and pack a big punch in a little battery. They are the size of camera batteries. Unless you want to lug around a C cell of D cell light. The CR123's pack the biggest punch in the package.

You don't want an LED flashlight as your main flashlight. Sure they burn cool and don't suck much battery power - but, the light the LEDs produce diffuses quickly and doesn't give good light over say, 6 feet or so. I have a bunch of LED flashlights I've purchased in China on my last few trips. They are cool, yes - the latest even has a laser pointer that comes on during the third press of the flashlight, but if I ever want to see something outside, or during a night preflight - surefire is the way to go.

Surfire has a plastic model that isn't too expensive. I've had it for 9 months and the battery's are still strong. It fits well in my flight bag and I use it all the time.

my .02 on flashlights....Chocks

Chocks said:
You don't want an LED flashlight as your main flashlight. Sure they burn cool and don't suck much battery power - but, the light the LEDs produce diffuses quickly and doesn't give good light over say, 6 feet or so. I have a bunch of LED flashlights I've purchased in China on my last few trips. They are cool, yes - the latest even has a laser pointer that comes on during the third press of the flashlight, but if I ever want to see something outside, or during a night preflight - surefire is the way to go.

Surfire has a plastic model that isn't too expensive. I've had it for 9 months and the battery's are still strong. It fits well in my flight bag and I use it all the time.

my .02 on flashlights....Chocks

That's the problem. You bought the LED lights IN CHINA!!!!!
I spent a little money on my LED light that was a super bright and had a descent amount of throw. My cousin figured he'd show me off and buy a cheap made in China LED becuase it was cheaper. Anyways... he didn't even come close.

Try either surefire, elektrolumens, or pelican 3 watt LED, led lights if you want good quality lights.

I got a 5 watt LED light a couple Sun-N-Funs ago and WOW is it great! It is one bright-a$$ flashlight. Uses 3 of the 123 batteries. You can get rechargeables from batteriesamerica.com. Here's the review http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/nuwai_5w_alx-253l.htm
and here's where it is sold: http://www.amondotech.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=943
It's just the right size to whack open the Aft equipment, Avionics, lav, and fuel doors on the CRJ.

Another cool one is this: http://www.sailgb.com/p/inova_xo3_led_flashlight/

I picked up one at Lowes of all places. It used three AAA's and it came with six batteries. It's about as long as a middle fi nger and I wear it one my belt. Nice thing about this one is that it has four white LED bulbs but it also has a red bulb that you turn on with a different button. It was great for instruction but it doesn't get used much any more, when your trying to look at your stabilizer that 23 feet straight up the mag light just a bit better.

Did you 121/135 guys with the Surefire's and LED's get the FAA to buy off on the flashlights for 135.159 [f](3)? I'm wondering who determines equivellent to the 2 D cell rule.

This thread is exactly the kind of aviation realted chatter that makes this website so valuable.

Surefire...especially since you aren't paying for it Satpak!

The surefire is great light, unfortunately way over-priced for the product. Luckily for me my friend works at the company and provided me a fair discount. One thing I've noticed is, for any reason if the high-output incandescent lamp turns on in the cockpit you can kiss your night vision bye for at least 5 mins. Hey but at least it's bullet-proof and will survive a crash - too bad I won't be around to use it.

over-priced

$185 for the best aviation flashlight ever conceived, designed, built and produced seems pretty fair to me.

It'll last your lifetime unless you trash it.

Latest resources

Back