• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

General Lee

Alaska's move to Terminal 6 to begin revamp of LAX domestic terminals

By Art Marroquin Staff Writer
Posted: 08/09/2010 07:46:57 PM PDT
Updated: 08/09/2010

Long-awaited work on domestic facilities at Los Angeles International Airport will finally begin this year as Alaska Airlines prepares to move into Terminal 6, officials said Monday. With preliminary costs of $200 million, the terminal renovation calls for additional airline gates, more security lanes, and a new baggage screening system, said Ed White, vice president of corporate real estate for Alaska Airlines.

When completed, Terminal 6 would be able to accommodate Alaska Airlines' domestic and international flights, White told the Los Angeles Board of Airport Commissioners. The project, set for completion in early 2012, will be funded by Alaska Airlines, LAX and the Transportation Security Administration, airport officials said.

"It's a tired terminal," White said. "It not only needs to be opened up, but also needs to be spruced up in the entire customer area."
Renderings show the terminal bathed in ice blue lights and walls accented with wood paneling. The terminal's ticketing lobby and baggage claim areas also will be roomier. Alaska Airlines has shown interest in moving into Terminal 6 for about three years, but a "convoluted set of leases" with other airlines housed inside the building kept that from happening, said Steve Martin, chief operating officer for LAX. A series of deals in recent months have cleared the path, allowing Alaska Airlines to move in, Martin said.

That is FANTASTIC. I do believe DL will still use one wide body gate in terminal 6 for 744s going to Tokyo Haneda and Narita, though. I wonder if there will be nonstop LAX to Sitka flights? If so, I might just have to move over to the West Coast........ Welcome guys! Have a FANTASTIC day.

Bye Bye--General Lee

I love that terminal. Used to be TWA's hang-out and it screams classic old airline terminal and history.

Gup

Only if "eternal" forces mandate it. I agree that it looks like it will happen, but there are a few things that will need to take place first......

And leave the $100 million a year on the table that the AA codeshare contributes? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT :laugh:

Not to mention overlaying Delta's much higher cost structure over our network.

Not likely in the near term. Alaska and Delta like their relationship just the way it is.

Now stop taunting the General and let him get back to his Sitka seawater dream!

And leave the $100 million a year on the table that the AA codeshare contributes? RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGHT :laugh:

Not to mention overlaying Delta's much higher cost structure over our network.

Not likely in the near term. Alaska and Delta like their relationship just the way it is.

Now stop taunting the General and let him get back to his Sitka seawater dream!

If somebody else pushes the issue (tries to make a move on AK), I have a feeling our relationship might change, and I will be going to Sitka and you will be doing two walkarounds before each flight. And, that $100 million code share with AA is chump change. Really---you think $100 million is a lot when it comes to airlines???? Really? You think any of that matters? Management wants their payday. A merger allows that---look at the bonuses that emerge after a successful merger. Those guys make big bucks, and then end up at some other company doing the same thing. Come on now.

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back