Landing below glideslope?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

parrothead

What is the reg that deals with landing below glideslope when landing is assured? If you're coming down the slope and have landing assured, is it legal to dip below the glideslope so you get it closer to the touchdown zone or do you have to stay on the slope all the way down? There are many versions of a "correct" answer. If anyone can find the reg, please post it. Thanks!!

Having flown 91,135 and121 operations, it seems this was more of an issue at the 91 and 135 level. In theory, not descending below glide path or VASI has something to do with the TCH for the wheel carriage clearence on the bigger jets.
Just an observation but for the most part in 121 operations this practice was not acceptable nor common practice has I had seen it before in previous 91 and 135 operators.
91.129 does give you some guidance on this issue but it still leaves room for some grey areas of interpetation.
I hope this helps.

Any pilot with precison airmanship skills will control the aircraft energy, staying on either the ILS GS or visual glide path, all the way down to the 1000' marker.

Dipping below the GS or VASI is for amatuers.....

Rez O. Lewshun said:
Any pilot with precison airmanship skills will control the aircraft energy, staying on either the ILS GS or visual glide path, all the way down to the 1000' marker.

Dipping below the GS or VASI is for amatuers.....

that is 100% correct, I agree 100% with that one!

I ask this because sometimes the speeds are so conservative, that if you know your plane and know that the speeds are going to make you float, how to land in the touchdown zone nicely and not float too much. I am just asking what the legalities are, not what professional practices are. I know what professional practices are! Thanks for all of your comments!

DrewBlows said:
Why would you want to go below glideslope?
If your book landing distance is 3600 feet, and you have 3900 feet of runway, dipping below glideslope to touch down at 500 feet from the threshold adds 500 feet to the runway available, increasing the margins.

Note that 91.129 says "until a lower altitude is necessary for a safe landing", not "when landing is assured". I'm sure everybody noticed, but I'm also big on stating the obvious, just in case ;)

Fly safe!

David

parrothead said:
I ask this because sometimes the speeds are so conservative, that if you know your plane and know that the speeds are going to make you float, how to land in the touchdown zone nicely and not float too much. I am just asking what the legalities are, not what professional practices are. I know what professional practices are! Thanks for all of your comments!
As far as float goes, if you know your airplane is going to float at the appropriate speed, just reduce to idle sooner and follow the glideslope.

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back