• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

L39 Info?? Anyone??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
there are 5 L39's at the airport I fly out of, cool airplanes. There is a school in New Mexico (I think it's Santa Fe) that does LOA's for the 39. If you get a chance to go up in one do it.

I remember an article about Bob Lutz, from GM, a few years back in one magazine.. He owns one and was talking about finding cartridges to keep the ejection seats hot.

Seconded on the Santa Fe guys. Larry (the owner) is in my opinion one of the best flight instructors in the country. We've done the upset program with them twice.

The airplane is incredibly easy to fly, and is a bit of a dog.

L39

Fun little airplane.

But it does guzzle the gas. I used about 125 gals/hr. That was not in cruise. I was just goofing around with some formation flying, some aerobatics, and t & g. It certainly is not supersonic. Great visibility even from the back seat. Fairly comfortable cockpit. Kind of a strange starting sequence which happens after starting the APU. Easy to land. The model that I flew had the European style brake handle on the stick.

It is wierd to see the Cyrillic symbols sprinkled around.

Not particularly powerful, but it sure beats a C-150 for fun appeal.

A1FlyBoy said:
I remember an article about Bob Lutz, from GM, a few years back in one magazine.. He owns one and was talking about finding cartridges to keep the ejection seats hot.
They don't issue LOA's anymore you get type-ratings in them. For what it's worth, we share a hangar with one and I've talked to the owner several times. He told me that no civilian has ever survived an ejection from an L39 and his seats weren't hot.

'Sled

Lead Sled said:
They don't issue LOA's anymore you get type-ratings in them. For what it's worth, we share a hangar with one and I've talked to the owner several times. He told me that no civilian has ever survived an ejection from an L39 and his seats weren't hot.

'Sled

Only one at our airport has hot seats.

Check out www.thejetshow.com to see it. It's in the hanger next to the one I work in. The owner is a really nice guy. His L-39 is the pace plane at Reno.

Latest resources

Back