L.A.B. Flying Service

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://www.labflying.com/

Anyone ever work for these folks? Looks like a fun seasonal job. How's pay, cost of living, etc? Upgrade time to the Chieftan?

Thanks!

g

Offered a job in '94, but Layton wanted me to pay him $3500 to get through his part 135 "training". I wound up working for one of their competitors at much better pay, no training "fee" and a nicer place to live.

Of flying in SE AK... most fun I've had with my pants on! If I had the guts to make a living at flying up there (I know some who do) I would do it in a heartbeat. But, lack of things like retirement and benefits will wear on a family man. Southeast is, in my opinion, the most beautiful spot in America. Yet few actually get to experience it as you would as you can fly over a pod of orcas or watch a humpy jump. I've seen tidewater glaciers calve as well as numerous wildlife encounters, including a massive brown bear just down from a ridge at 3,000 feet.

I've also scared the crap out of myself a few times up there because of unexpected things like other aircraft or weather (mostly my own dumb fault).

LAB was shut down in the late '90's by the FAA for (I believe) maintenance reasons. However, I believe they've had a good record for the last 5 years or so. You'll work your butt off at LAB and (if it hasn't changed since about 10 years ago) they still pay you a salary, not an hourly wage.

Hopefully you'll get some more updated information from someone who has flown there more recently. One thing is for sure, it will be an experience you'll never forget.

Send me a PM if you like.

GP

BTW...you will not get a job by sending in a resume. You have to go up there and "bang on their door" if you want a chance at working there.

Last edited:
Their webpage says they have received the Medallion Award for maintenance, etc... So I'd guess the planes aren't falling apart. They're also equipped with the Capstone system. If there is some kind of pay for training deal then i have no interest.

btw, how long is the typical seasonal pilot position in Alaska?

Last edited:
I flew for LAB from 2000 until 2002. Got there with 700 hrs in January and had 1500 by december. The pay when I started was $600 a month with housing included, by the end of the summer season (sep) I was making 1500 a month, when I left there in 2002 I was making 3000 a month with housing included (more than I have made at other flying jobs).
The place is one of the most beautiful places in the world, the people there are the friendliest you could ever met, for a lot of folks flying in alaska has been one of the best experiences in there life.
The season normally start to crank up around March and last until September.
Summer if great because there is daylight almost 24 hrs, so you got campfires going, hiking, boating, camping, cayaking just about any outdoor activity is available if that is your liking.
The flying part is hard work, when we started we worked 14 hrs a day, flew 8 hours a day with one day of a week, after the first season you got 2 days of a week. There is a lot of heavy loading (fish boxes and gear) customers bags and stuff and you fly into some pretty cool spots that create quite a challenge. The weather can be real real challenge at times, same as the other reply "I really scared myself a couple of times up there" but it did give me a lot of good experience and has made me a lot better pilot.
I hope this helps you can pm if you want and maybe I can give you some more info.

L.a.b.

Great Job if you have a good attitude. I was there for a year ('04-'05). Pay for training has been gone for quite some time, and starting pay is now $1500/month. It was $1000 when I was there. Still one day a week off for your first year, but you can get more durring down times. MX is fair, but it may be different now, the director of MX from my time is gone. One advantage to LAB is that they serve more airfields than anyone else (Wings is a close second but operates floats too), and if your a good stick, you'll get the oportunity to fly in to some cool strips that some of the other operators would not let you do until you were with the company for some more time. Do a forum search and you'll see a lot of posts on L.A.B, ignore the ones who flame it. They either had a bad attitude or an isolated bad experience which could happen at almost any company. If you want to get your foot in the door it's a good oportunity. Dont count on a Chieftain upgrade. There are guys there who have been flying for LAB for years and you probably wont see it in less than a year. I was training for the Chieftain and Islander when I left for my current job. PM me with any other questions.

Great Job if you have a good attitude. I was there for a year ('04-'05). Pay for training has been gone for quite some time, and starting pay is now $1500/month. It was $1000 when I was there. Still one day a week off for your first year, but you can get more durring down times. MX is fair, but it may be different now, the director of MX from my time is gone. One advantage to LAB is that they serve more airfields than anyone else (Wings is a close second but operates floats too), and if your a good stick, you'll get the oportunity to fly in to some cool strips that some of the other operators would not let you do until you were with the company for some more time. Do a forum search and you'll see a lot of posts on L.A.B, ignore the ones who flame it. They either had a bad attitude or an isolated bad experience which could happen at almost any company. If you want to get your foot in the door it's a good oportunity. Dont count on a Chieftain upgrade. There are guys there who have been flying for LAB for years and you probably wont see it in less than a year. I was training for the Chieftain and Islander when I left for my current job. PM me with any other questions.

Great post. Listen to this guy, he knows!

I saw this post and called their CP. They are starting a class in April and are looking for about 7 pilots. Fax your resume ATTN: Chief Pilot 907-790 2165. 1500/ month plus housing and transportation. Some of the best flying you will probably ever do and if anything else, you will become a very good stick and experience things people only dream of or read about. As far as MX, it’s not too bad for 135.

Good luck.

Latest resources

Back