Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Singlecoil

I don't reMember
I'm sure I wasn't the only one on this board trying to get into Palm Springs last night. That had to have been the first time in history that the dew point was higher in Palm Springs than it was in Seattle.
Anyway, that has to be the most worthless approach I have ever seen. A VOR approach with an 1800agl MDA, but that's not the worst part. You have to stay at 2900agl until 6nm from the field! That would be a good VDP for 1800agl, but no, you're at 2900. Then the passengers get a little testy when you have to divert (only the jerks, anyway). I would love to give them all the phone number of the local port authority that is too cheap to install a better approach. Granted its usually clear and a million there, but it doesn't seem fair that the airlines are the ones losing the money when they can't get down on a worthless approach.

use the force Luke...

What ever happened to the RNP to every runway idea? The only jet we have that can do a true circle to land (even at night - O MY!) is being retired at an accelerated rate. Soon it will be "purple lines" and flight directors every where we go. I do wonder why RNP in the lower 48 never really got off the ground. Probably just to expensive and not worth the investment for the hand full of times we would use it each year.

but it doesn't seem fair that the airlines are the ones losing the money when they can't get down on a worthless approach.

Sophisticated instrument landing systems are expensive to install and maintain. I'm sure if the airlines were willing to pay the increased landing fees for that one day a year that PSP has restrictive wx they would have a cat III approach into every runway.

That approach to PSP is probably the best they can do under the TERPS criteria. Those foothills southeast of Mt. Baldy are the problem. They can't swing the final approach course any farther to the east due to the hills out that way, and if they did, the missed approach segment would also be too close to the mountain.

The others are right, though. Based on the average weather there, getting a better approach is a low priority.

I was PSP based for 8 years, flew the VOR appch maybe 3 times. Once we missed the approach in low clouds and rain, came back around for a second try...and here's the trick to get in. Just prior to the MAP, you'll see some bright yellow umbrellas to the left of the wash. That's the local Ford dealer. When you see the Ford dealer, you know that the runway is just ahead and to the right. Duck under the 'cloud deck' and make a slight right turn. Then you'll see the local water amusement park....just past that is the beautiful sight of Runway 31L. It works every time. Last weekend on my commute home, the CRJ crew missed and went back to LAX. After that, I had to count on my local EM2 crew to get me home. Thanks guys.

JBcrjca said:
...and here's the trick to get in. Just prior to the MAP, you'll see some bright yellow umbrellas to the left of the wash. That's the local Ford dealer. When you see the Ford dealer, you know that the runway is just ahead and to the right. Duck under the 'cloud deck' and make a slight right turn. Then you'll see the local water amusement park....just past that is the beautiful sight of Runway 31L. It works every time.

All you have to do is to make the umbrellas and the Ford dealership part of the official "runway environment", and you're good to 100' AGL. ;)

"Watch this!"

Too funny Stifler!

The UMBRELLA Visual 31L

Jepp will have that one right out to ya.

W

I guess I should have put a smiley face next to my previous post...but at least a few of you got my sarcasm. :D

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back