• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Katrina update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think we're looking at a major U.S. city being uninhabitalbe for months.

As for martial law, some of the inhabitants of NO (I won't dignify them by calling them people) are setting traps for motorists and carjacking them to get out. Others are looting jewlery stores and Foot Lockers.

In the South Central riots, the shop owners were vilified for protecting their shops with guns. This behavior MUST be put in its proper perspective--they are stealing, not to survive but because they can. The Attorney General of LA refused to condemn the looters in an interview tonight. He instead said the focus should be on saving lives. True. But soft-selling the looting is wrong. Guess he's up for re-election soon.

Our prayers are with those who are suffering. We've got clothes and shoes headed your way as soon as the Red Cross can organize shipments.TC

NuGuy said:
****ALL RESIDENTS ON THE EAST BANK OF ORLEANS AND JEFFERSON REMAINING IN THE METRO AREA ARE BEING TOLD TO EVACUATE AS EFFORTS TO SANDBAG THE LEVEE BREAK HAVE ENDED. THE PUMPS IN THAT AREA ARE EXPECTED TO FAIL SOON AND 9 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED IN THE ENTIRE EAST BANK. WITHIN THE NEXT 12-15 HOURS****

Nu

East Bank, is that downtown New Orleans?

AA717driver said:
The Attorney General of LA refused to condemn the looters in an interview tonight. He instead said the focus should be on saving lives. True. But soft-selling the looting is wrong.
Contrast that with what Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi had to say about looters:
I have instructed the Highway Patrol and the National Guard to treat looters ruthlessly. Looting will not be tolerated and rules of engagement will be as aggressive as the law allows.

SabreFlyR said:
Thats the downtown area plus Metairie and Kenner. Basically the east side of the Miss. river.

Good god. I watched on video on cnn.com showing the broken I10 bridge. It looked like a seen from one of those bad disaster movies from the 70's. The video showed a couple of vehicles stranded by downed sections of the bridge. I couldn't imagine being on that bridge during the storm when those sections collapsed.

KigAir said:
Good god. I watched on video on cnn.com showing the broken I10 bridge. It looked like a seen from one of those bad disaster movies from the 70's. The video showed a couple of vehicles stranded by downed sections of the bridge. I couldn't imagine being on that bridge during the storm when those sections collapsed.

So far our family has lost 6 houses but everybody got out Saturday and Sunday, except we can't contact an elderly aunt and uncle, so we're praying that they overcame thier stubborness and did leave.

NuGuy said:
****ALL RESIDENTS ON THE EAST BANK OF ORLEANS AND JEFFERSON REMAINING IN THE METRO AREA ARE BEING TOLD TO EVACUATE AS EFFORTS TO SANDBAG THE LEVEE BREAK HAVE ENDED. THE PUMPS IN THAT AREA ARE EXPECTED TO FAIL SOON AND 9 FEET OF WATER IS EXPECTED IN THE ENTIRE EAST BANK. WITHIN THE NEXT 12-15 HOURS****

Nu

Well, the army corp of engineers is stating they will try and sink some grain barges at the mouth of the canal that the levee broke on to stem about 90% of the flow. They plan on attempting this in the morning. They feel this will allow the water flow to decrease enough to where they can fix the breach completely.

EDIT - nevermind, the interview with the mayor about 15 minutes ago made it sound like all effort to shore up the break are unsuccessful and that there is nothing more that can be done at the moment. He says the water will conitnue to flow in at an accelerating pace for the next 12-15 hours until the water level is even with lake pontchatrain, about 3 feet above sea level. Downtown and teh garden district (st. charles ave.) are expected to be 6-10 feet deep by tomorrow evening.

God, every hour just brings worse news.

Last edited:
VampyreGTX said:
well, the first cop was already shot by a looter....

Now reports of two 'looters' with automatic rifles shooting up a police station near the French Quarter... no reports of injuries yet, gunmen got away into the mess in the french quarter.

I think the justification for the use of force is becoming quite clear....

Latest resources

Back