Jumpseaters!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

reno

Most (if not all) regionals allow unlimited jumpseaters. I know that SkyWest, Continental Express, Eagle, Air Wisky, ASA, ACA do and I suspect the other regionals do as well. Of the majors, Alaska, Frontier and I hear US Air have open jumpseating policies.

If you fly for a carrier that does not, I urge you to email your jumpseat coordinator and urge them to adopt an open jumpseat policy. It costs nothing and for those of us who commute, or those who just need a ride somewhere not served by your own carrier, it makes all the difference in the world!

Fly Safe!

First off, I think you will find that an overwhelming majority of major airline pilots would completely agree with you. However, it is easier said than done.

Not all regionals allow unlimited jumpseaters. Most notably any of the US Express airlines. Unless it has changed in the last couple of years US management prohibits this. Several of the regional MECs have tried to have it changed and failed.

In the case of the majors, this has to be approved by Mgt. through the process of negotiations. Most MECs are not willing to spend negotiating capital for pilots from other airlines, not that I can blame them. In other words, ultimately it is up to the good graces of Mgt. The unions have asked repeatedly, but with little success mostly because it costs money to carry extra bodies on board. More weight = higher fuel burn. It's not much in a CRJ, but it can quickly translate to 25-50 lbs/hr per person depending on the aircraft. Do the math and it starts to add up throughout the entire system.

One of the few exceptions to this is Northwest. They take 2 offline jumpseaters regardless of how many NW jumpseaters are on board or number of jumpseats.

Hope that helps. Good Luck!!

Last edited:
All three USAir WO's accept unlimted jumpseaters in the cabin. I also believe that CHQ (USAir side), Colgan, and perhaps Midway have the same policy.

FYI, American Eagle only takes one jumpseater. We at Comair take as many as there are seats.

CHQ has unlimited jumpseats-except the American aircraft-this is Due to AA's rules NOT ours, we are trying to change that, but you know how it goes...

B

Latest resources

Back