Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

AA717driver

A simpler time...
Someone on another board was mentioning that the fracs had flooded the corporate market with typed pilots on a variety of aircraft.

Do a lot of frac Capts. jump ship for corporate or does the seniority system keep them around.

Thanks.TC

I think someone on another board may have been unhappy in their position and blamed it on the successful fractionals. I would guess that the title of this thread would be more accurate if read "jumping from corporate to fractional". I think more pilots leave corporate jobs for the fractionals than the other way around. The attractor being schedule and stability. However, the fractionals do offer experienced contract pilots for almost any type of business jet on the market. For example; in the late 90's when the Citation X was fairly new, companies were contracting ExecJet pilots for $1000-$1200/day. Today, the same thing holds true for the G-200's. So, I don't believe fractional pilots are jumping ship to fly for a corporation, that may or may not, have a flight department in a few years.

Some do. We have lost a few at Options to corporate jobs. Even to some sweet Fortune 500 gigs. It is a two way street, however. I know one F/O that left a 120K/year Falcon job to come here because the owner of that plane woke up one morning and decided to put it on 135. So, what was once a sweet 91 gig turned into 20 R.O.N.s a month. Most of the time when people move on they go to the airlines. Southwest, FedEx, Frontier, etc.

I could see some leaving for a major airline or a VERY good corp gig, but I bet its not too many....why would they leave to go to some marginal 135 charter job, etc....Im sure the marginal job pays a little better (or a lot) but usually its not worth it..

the grass is always greener syndrome.

Hey G200,

Does your avatar mean you are now flying a Global or are you just toying with us? If so, how do you like it?

Jumping ship

AA717driver,

I know a few who have jumped from Frax to Corp but only with a very sweet deal. In some cases, an iron-clad contract with loss of livelihood guarnatees or a great F500 job that has been around forever. Some go with customers who decide to buy their own bird and some go for the big bucks. In either case, security is usually the reason why most stay put. From what I've seen, the tradeoff between living where you want and more job security usually outweighs additional compensation.

Live4flyng said:
I think someone on another board may have been unhappy in their position and blamed it on the successful fractionals. I would guess that the title of this thread would be more accurate if read "jumping from corporate to fractional". I think more pilots leave corporate jobs for the fractionals than the other way around. The attractor being schedule and stability. However, the fractionals do offer experienced contract pilots for almost any type of business jet on the market. For example; in the late 90's when the Citation X was fairly new, companies were contracting ExecJet pilots for $1000-$1200/day. Today, the same thing holds true for the G-200's. So, I don't believe fractional pilots are jumping ship to fly for a corporation, that may or may not, have a flight department in a few years.

Hi Live4 how are you! I believe you are a little incorrect here. I wouldnt leave my corporate job to go the the fractionals for a million dollars! If you have a good corporate job there is no way you would take about a 30% pay cut to start with, not to mention the other compensation. That is a no brainer.

Now first you say the attractor being 1st the schedule. You guys do get 5-7 days off at a time, that is nice, but I am home about 6 days a week. If you have kids this is a big factor in job choice, putting pay aside.

Now as far as stability, anyone who thinks that your aviation job is secure is dreaming. There is always the chance of being out on the street. Just ask some of the poor fellas at the Major's. (I worked for a fortune 50 company and got laid off)

Lastly, you have a point if you are working for a poorly run corporate flight department, but for a lot of guys on this board that work for Fortune 500 companies, this simply does not apply, not ever!

Fly safe.

GREAT LAKES said:
Lastly, you have a point if you are working for a poorly run corporate flight department, but for a lot of guys on this board that work for Fortune 500 companies, this simply does not apply, not ever!

Fly safe. [/B]

???Just yesterday I met a guy who quit Ford for NJI. Say's he likes it much better.

Hey Lakes

I wasn't arguing that pilots never leave NJA for corparate jobs, I know that happens. What I meant was I don't think the FRACs are flooding the corporate market with pilots.

I agree about having kids and being away from home for a week at a time, it's tough.

You are correct, "Never say Never" to anything in Aviation. This has to be one of the most jacked up industries there is. My point was, I believe there is more stability flying for NJA than most corporations, not all though. I'm happy you have found that and wish you good luck.

Latest resources

Back