Job Offer Delima?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sat74

My neighbor was offered a position with an airline with a class date in less than 2 weeks. However, he has family obligations and commitements that cannot be changed and therefore is not available until later this summer. I know he really wants the position, but is hoping to take a later class date, if available, and does not know how to discuss this with the company. What is the proper way to convey this delima to the airline when accepting the job offer?

sat74 said:
My neighbor was offered a position with an airline with a class date in less than 2 weeks. However, he has family obligations and commitements that cannot be changed and therefore is not available until later this summer. I know he really wants the position, but is hoping to take a later class date, if available, and does not know how to discuss this with the company. What is the proper way to convey this delima to the airline when accepting the job offer?
Depends on the airline I would guess. Will the airline have class dates "later in the summer"? Honesty is the best policy, so ask those hard working people in the training sched dept humbly and kindly what the options are, if any? If the airline says no then a tougher question will have to be answered in imho. I know it is a tough part of the year to have a dedicated amount of time due to training with weddings and such taking place. good luck! :cool:

Thanks for input. He interviewed months ago and never heard anything, so went forward with committing to some very very expensive non-refundable plans with the family and a wedding or two, if my memory serves.

I'm not sure what he can do if there are no alternative class options. I would hope that the company understands that they cannot expect everyone to drop their entire life in less than 2 weeks notice. But on the other hand, there are plenty of pilots willing to fill that spot!

Keep the advice coming and thanks!

sat74 said:
I would hope that the company understands that they cannot expect everyone to drop their entire life in less than 2 weeks notice. But on the other hand, there are plenty of pilots willing to fill that spot!
First of all the company doesn't care. They need to fill a hole with "meat in the seat". The last sentence is exactly correct.

When hired at AA in 1992, I delayed two classes to get a DC-10FE to LAX because that is where I lived at the time. 40 numbers or so. When it came time to furlough in 1994, I lost my job by 19 numbers instead of keeping it by 21.

Ask you neighbor how much time and money he has invested in his career and how much it might cost him to NOT take this class date?

Unit

I agree with Unit. In my new hire class at AA, we had a guy that was there as a "honeymoon" with his new wife, he had got married the night before. AA offered me an October 30 class date and I postpond untill the December 4, big mistake. Today it means the difference between pulling in $8000 a month and the big "zero" I'm not making now. However, only you know your situation, this was my experience. Best wishes, and good luck to you.

If it's a great airline, break the family commitments and just get the dang job. Seriously, not many GOOD airline gigs around any more - get the job and do the family crap later... It's called priorities and thinking about the long term.

My $0.02

What is a delima? Next, job offers come not so very often. After all that your "friend" should just tell them straight out that his/her family is more important. My wife would have me take the job and thereore there would be no conflict. Always do what your wife says!

Simple

Actually being able to spell 'dilemma' would be a huge step in the right direction.

Tends to alleviate the huge 'retard' stamp that goes directly in the middle of your forehead.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back