• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

JetBlue and AirInc ??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks thought he may have been with NEW YORK AIR .I'm looking for someone I may know so I can get one of those in house recomendations .I wish there was a senority list I could read.

I'm still on the fence about the Atl job fair and certainly have never bought into the pilot shortage theory. One thing I was considering though was looking at the job fair like an expensive lottery ticket. I just bought a $25 ticket from a charity to get a chance to win a 68 Corvette. They will sell up to 2500 tickets for the car. I figure that's better odds than going to my local quickie mart for a $1 ticket for the NY lotto which a million other people have also bought into. At the job fair they "give away" a type rating to one lucky attendee. It's like paying $200 for a chance to win a type rating with about 1 in 500 odds. Is it worth the chance?

Lakeviewa,

Since your comment was originally the start of another thread and then posted here as well, I'll make my response available on both threads.

I always pride myself using this board for my own enlightenment and trying to help others who have a genuine interest in the facts of the JB experience as a potentail employer.

That being written, I'm not going to claim ignorance of a utopian illusion. Especially since I'm an interviewer for the company.

So to address the common thread of "You've got to know someone to get an interview". My answer is this, if you know David or Dave then you are probably a shoe in for an interview only. But they have to go through the interview just like everyone else. That's where we make the difference. We filter people out because their personalities are not what we consider a "company fit.".

However, most people on this board are trying to use "buddies" they know to get an interview. I'm here to tell you it doesn't work that way. Our interview process is the most sanitized it can possibly be.

Now if you have some specifics you would like to address of who the candidate was and who specifically they told you they knew, then send me a PM.

If you were at this particular interview, all the better. You can shed the light for everyone on this board as to how many "others" claimed to know someone and who they think they knew that got them the interview.

I'm not concerned about anonymity. So if there are specifics I can possibly address then by all means, let's get the correct info out there.

There are 6000 apps in the queue right now. So I'm trying to do my best to help Dean get the correct info out into the system. There's no utopia, but it sure beats US Airways.

I know your post isn't flame bait. My only goal with this response is to increase the dialogue with genuine intent. I just want to ensure that any conversations I'm involved in stay that way.

Happy landings

Flash,

Thinking of it as an expensive lottery is probably the right way of going. You just never know. It's all about odds and the house usually wins in the long run.

If I lived in or near ATL, I might consider then. But to add airfare, hotel, food etc on top of the $200 entrance fee, heck I could probably get a few hours in a sim somewhereto get recurrent. Now that would be worth more to me right now!

I went to one Air, Inc job fair about 5 years ago, when I was leaving the active duty Air Force.

I found it helpful in motivating me to do what it takes to get a major airline job. It was also helpful in giving me general application/interview information.

I do not think, however, that it was very helpful in making specific contacts that could have led to a job.

I am glad that I went to that one job fair, but I personally would not spend the money to go to another.

As far as your specific question about whether meeting Dean helps your job prospects at jetBlue, I don't think meeting and giving a resume helps at all to get the interview. However, Dean will answer any of your questions, tell you what he thinks of your resume, and give you his email address. He is very personable, and will likely remember you, even months later, if you show up to interview.

If you are truly serious about jetBlue, it might be worth it for you to take the time (and spend the money) to have the opportunity to meet Dean or whoever else from jetBlue attends. Making that personal contact will at least give you the opportunity in the future to have someone in the jetBlue People department you can email periodically if you have questions about your application.

Considering the current job market, I would hate to look back someday and wonder if I did everything possible to land a job that I really wanted but didn't get. I've done that once already in my career, and wouldn't want to do it again.

Now, slightly off topic. Regarding other Air, Inc services...

I used the Air, Inc interview prep service to prepare for a US Airways interview about 4 years ago, and I found it to be a complete waste of money. I got no information that I didn't already have, and practically no interview advice at all.

There are much better interview prep services available. Specifically, I would recommend Rob Beeks (who helped me to successfully prepare for a SWA interview).

I would also recommend Emerald Coast Aviation Consulting (I think I got the name right), run by AlbieF15. I have several friends who have used Emerald Coast, and were very happy. And, he offers a money back guarantee.

Both Rob Beeks and AlbieF15 are on these boards, if anyone cares to contact them (and, no, this is not a paid endorsement).

Last edited:
KC-10 Driver

Thanks for yr post & views. Your comments hit the nail on the head.

Like you, I have previously attended job fairs & also interview counseling - with limited success. For the jobs I did get, I cannot honestly say that it was as a direct result of doing these things, in fact, I know it was more my tenacity & networking & a bit of luck. If you have been to one of these in the last 5 years or so, then you really don't need to go again. There's less recruiters, more concessionaires and the interviews don't change that much (within an individual carrier). It will be a re-hash of what you already know & you will still be paying full-price for the privilege!
I think if anyone who goes to job fairs/seminars & treats them as "infomercials" and for making contacts, that is the right attitude. They are NOT the same as other job fairs where the expectation is on actually getting an interview and subsequently the job. But of course, they don't tell you that. Hopefully this thread has thrown some light on what really goes on in these seminars, the "success" rates, the pros & cons of going etc. so that pilots can make up their own minds if it's right for you. Both sides of the story need to be told.

As someone mentioned, the Air Inc stuff is basically a CostCo Super Center for information, nothing more. Also, it is primarily aimed at the low-time commercial pilot and the transitioning military guys who have never gone through a civilian-style interview process and all that that takes.

And finally, just FYI, there are other, smaller counseling services out there which are perhaps better value for money and give you more accurate tips AND market you individually to sevearl airlines & corporate entities. One such company is the Berliner Aviation Group (& no, this is NOT a paid advertisement - I just know this guy helped me in the past & I found his info far more useful than any FAPA or Air Inc counselor/rep.)

Provided you do yr homework & know what you're buying, then you won't have unrealistic expectations & then you won't be disappointed either. And you MAY just get lucky.

Caveat emptor as the Romans pronounced!:)

Is there any way to crash the job fair?

I'd get a kick out of taking Kitt for 200 bucks and am always up for a challange. I'm off on Sat just might jump on that CRJ700 out os SYR to ATL and give it a shot. Looking at the fair sked and flight sked I could get down and back in the same day without spending a dime.

Anyone who's been to one see a way in for free? Any tips? Maybe I could pose as an Allegheny recruiter. Better yet a HR rep. for Legacy Airlines.

Last edited:
LearLove

I'm sure you're not the first person to have that idea. Personally, I'd call it being resourceful, doing all you can to get the edge etc. Sneaky maybe but what the heck!

On a similar note, I once heard a story where a pilot candidate who did not get called to a pilot class, just show up for the next class where there were a couple of no-shows (clearly, he had inside help). Since the company had already set up the class for x number of pilots & he was qualified, they let him stay for the duration & complete the indoc, the training & the whole nine yards.
I guess he got "rewarded" for his cheekiness but equally clearly, this most likely would not work for all airlines. On the other hand....what have you got to lose?

Experience

I want to echo the person who pointed out that these were much more successful for the younger person wanting a regional airline shot rather than the larger airlines who really just wanted to speak on what was going on.

At the AEPS ones, for $20 you could meet and greet under much less trying time frames and acutually on a number of occasions get interviewed on the spot.

Many times, Comair or ACA had interview areas and you went right to it.

These shows are good if you are there but worthless if you are not highly competitive with the real times, not the posted ones.

Back when there really was recruiting going on they were pretty important. Now, you have the numbers or you do not.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back