Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

UnAnswerd

Activity Terminated
I understand that it might be a bad idea to stand dirrectly behind an operating jet engine. However, is there a certain "safe distance" that you can be standing behind a jet engine, and not have to worry about any ill-effects??? The conditions assume very lower power, like when taxiing.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

vclean said:
What? Did you say something? I can't hear you!

Wear earplugs.

Yeah, the engines are pretty loud. But I was talking more about possible heat-induced injuries and such...

Heat stress may be an issue, but I would be more concerned about continued exposure to jet exhaust.

No cumulative effects of exposure to jet exahust per se are to be expected, but standing behind an operating turbojet engine is never a wise idea.

Each manufacturer publishes charts detailing danger and caution zones around the powerplant when operating, which include danger zones to the side of, in front of, and behind the powerplant. In front of the powerplant dangers include ingestion as well as noise dangers, and behind, thermal (heat) dangers, blast dangers, and exhaust gas dangers are all present.

Constant inhalation of any exhaust gas will result in a buildup of carbon monoxide, and is to be avoided.

vclean said:
What? Did you say something? I can't hear you!

Once you've lost 50% of your hearing, the jet engine (or cockpit wind) noise will no longer be a problem. As long as you can see the FO's & FE's lips moving and their furrowed brows, you will know what to do.

All 727 pilots understand this phenomenon.

Been standin' behind a lot of jets lately, eh Unanswerd?

I'd say that a safe distance to stand behind a jet would be however far it takes to keep from getting blown over. As a general rule, most of us avoid standing directly behind aircraft with engines running as it is a rather hot, windy, noisy, smelly, and altogether uncomfortable place to be. This practice of avoiding dangerous and uncomfortable areas is often referred to as "common sense." You may have heard of this before. Unfortunately, common sense is neglected in certain circles. If I were king of aviation, every student would have to demonstrate common sense as a part of their medical examination, but it obviously doesn't always work that way.

I trust that this has been an informative post, although I strongly suspect you could have come up with this information on your own.

-Goose

Last edited:
UnAnswerd said:
I understand that it might be a bad idea to stand dirrectly behind an operating jet engine. However, is there a certain "safe distance" that you can be standing behind a jet engine, and not have to worry about any ill-effects??? The conditions assume very lower power, like when taxiing.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
If you wan't to be confused even more, unanswered...my jet engine is mounted in the nose of the plane I fly, backwards...so if you are standing behind it, you'll most likely be getting struck with a propellor.

The very sensation and associated endorphin release that burning of kerosene in a turbine engine brings is enough to counteract any potential ill effects that CO, heat, blast, toxins, etc could inflict on a person. Stand behind it. Get up close. A little closer. There, now see what I mean?!

its analgous to eating candy.... the beneficial effects outweigh any potential and unlikely hazard. Gulp, chomp - another handful of chocolate covered ________(fill in the blank to suit your taste).

I've been wondering when this discussion might take a turn in the direction of the jet inlet.

Should someone publish the warning in advance of the question?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back