Jan. 25th DFW Job Fair

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

nfg

Has anybody been to one of these job fairs before? What is the success rate at one of these? I imagine that personally handing them the resume and talking to them works better than faxing them the thing and then end up just another piece of paper in a huge pile. What have some of your experiences been at these things? Just trying to figure out if it's even worth going.

Also, on a slightly different note:

I am trying to set up my tickets to get there, but I have to get back home that night because I have to be at work the next day. The job fair is scheduled to run from 4-8pm. For you guys that have done this before, is it possible to "mingle" and talk to the couple airlines that are going to be there in about an hour and change? My return flight would leave at about 6:45, giving me limited time to dazzle them all with my wonderful personality. :)

Thanks!

First... Search this board for AIR Inc, I believe you will find plenty of opinions on the value of the fair and well as some other opinions.

Air Inc runs it fairly tight, you will more than likely NOT be able to meet people before the actual start of of the fair portion.

Depending on whom you are interested in AND how long the lines may be... Your mingle may be 1-2 minutes after 30 minutes waiting on line. Again, if your looking at a specific airline or airlines you may be able to mingle quicker and make your flight out of DFW.

I did this about 2 years or so ago.. Went to the fair only (got a decent discount), spoke with those that I was interested in and made a 730 flight out. Then again 2 years ago the lines were for the majors and the regionals had lines that took no more than a few minutes to get through.

To insert my opinion... I am not sure if AEPS has a fair in the near future, but for the price of AIR inc's you can get 6 or more AEPS fairs

BTW.. At the fair 2 years ago... all I handed resumes to netted interviews.

I've been to few of the Air Inc fairs. They are ok. I wouldn't expect any immediate responses, but it really depends on timing. It can't hurt you to go. Meeting the representatives in person is always nice, and you get to see what they are looking for.

If you are limited to the "hour and change", however, I would probably not go. At the DCA fair, the Comair line alone was just over an hour in length. The lines may get shorter than that, but only towards the end of the evening. So, if you are time-limited, take a hard look at whether you want to spend the time and money.

Aside from the presentations from the airline representatives and the opportunity to meet the reps, the rest of the information during the day (just about everything preceding lunch) was the kind of stuff you'd learn reading "Checklist For Success" and other books like that. Not crucial information, in my opinion.

Oh yeah, if you do go, don't be surprised when the USAir rep "spontaneously" asks everyone to get up and applaud Kit Darby for his help towards the end of the presentations. He's done it at the last 2 fairs I went to. Kind of silly the second time... hope I don't have to see it a third.
Good luck.

ps I've been to 2 Air Inc. fairs since 9/11 and handed out about 4-5 resumes at each with no responses yet. My times were >1500tt and 121 exp. FYI.

Last edited:
AirInc value= Benny Hinn of aviation.

Note that many of the attendees are not hiring. ie. SWA, ASA, Netjets. Kit Darby knows the more desperate people become the more willing they are to choke up $150+ for his self-serving pile o' BS.

As far as lines and 'time to mingle'. Expect up to 1 hr. in anybody worth a hoot...expect 30 sec. to 1 min. of talk time. (they have to process the line quicker when it's long). The DC fair was not of value, I should have had Visa take it off my card as he's a scam artist. He's such a F#*&ing game show host it's silly, a disgrace to the industry and any form of professionalism.

You will find more value in checking in with old flying buddies that may know something about a gig. Use the $ to bribe your old friends and buy them lunches & beers, hookers whatever.

the benny hinn of aviation

i couldn't help but think of the recent dateline story on benny hinn. in the same manner someone should get behind the scenes and be the "fly on the wall"

my take is many companies have to fly the flag and get ordered to do so by upper management. if they didn't , word on the street would be they're in trouble.. unfortunately, the reality of business is it's often a game of 'SMOKE AND MIRRORS"

MEANWHILE, darby laughs all the way to the bank

Latest resources

Back