JAA 737 type rating conversion to FAA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

FlyingToIST

The company that I got on with will be giving me a 737 type according to JAA standards. I currently hold both JAA and FAA licenses. Any idea if I can get the type on FAA without a major hassle? (The training facility is both FAA and JAA certified).

Thanks..

FlyingToIST said:
The company that I got on with will be giving me a 737 type according to JAA standards. I currently hold both JAA and FAA licenses. Any idea if I can get the type on FAA without a major hassle? (The training facility is both FAA and JAA certified).

Thanks..

This may be a stupid question but, have you asked the training facility where you are getting your type from? My educated guess is that if the JAA type requirements equal or exceed the FAA PTS requirements for a type rating on the 737 then it should be just a matter of filling out an 8710 form and submitting it to the local FSDO, could be wrong though.

FlyingToIST said:
Any idea if I can get the type on FAA without a major hassle? (The training facility is both FAA and JAA certified).

Thanks..

No major hassle, you just need to take the exam with an FAA Inspector or DE in an FAA approved simulator (approved simulators are in many countries) or an "N" regestered aircraft. There is no way to transfer a type rating to my knowledge.

JAFI

edit, Here is the reference I used:
http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/examiners_inspectors/8700/volume2/media/2_029_00.pdf

FAA Order 8700.1

CHAPTER 29. ISSUE A U.S. PILOT CERTIFICATE ON THE BASIS OF A
FOREIGN-PILOT LICENSE

(9) Under § 61.153(d)(3), for persons who hold either a foreign airline transport pilot license with the appropriate aircraft rating or a foreign commercial pilot license and an instrument rating with the appropriate aircraft rating without limitations, and who apply for a U.S. airline transport pilot certificate. Section 61.153(d)(3) permits a person who holds either a foreign airline transport pilot license with the appropriate aircraft rating or a foreign commercial pilot license and an instrument rating with the apropriate aircraft rating without limitations and issued by an ICAO member state, to apply for a U.S. airline transport pilot certificate with the appropriate aircraft rating by having accomplished the required aeronautical experience, passed the appropriate knowledge test, and passed the appropriate practical test.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back