Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

your_dreamguy

Another question,

When I jumpseated on some majors, I've come across situations and was wondering if you could give me some advice? Today, I got a seat in the back with a major that wasn't my mainline. I was not in uniform and I was accepted as a crewmember. I noticed a couple with 2 kids (aged about 2 and 4). These kids were kinda hyped during the flight and the parents did not control or care. After landing, while taxiing, the kids were kind of roaming around. The FAs didn't really notice. So, I told the mother that her kids needed to be seated with the seat belts securely fastened until we got into the gate and the captain had turned off the "fasten seat belts sign." The woman looked at me pretty shocked but wouldn't do anything. So, I told her again, at which point she said I could tell her husband. So, I told her husband and he complied. Well, the FA's looked at me really pissed. While, JS, I thought I was an additional crewmember...so, I was just doing a crewmember duty. The FA's couldn't se what was going on. Can you give me your 2 cents about cabin JS ettiquette?

Look forward to your responses.

This is strictly from a former FA perspective. As a jumpseat rider, whether it be an FA jumpseating on their own carrier or a pilot on another airline, you really are not a crew member - only in the event of an emergency. In my opinion, you have no authority over any passengers on the flight, as you are not a working crew member. Further, the company could be liable for something that you tell a passenger when not authorized to act in that capacity.

Now, do I think, in the matter of safety with those kids running around, did the parents need to be told? Sure. However, since you were not in uniform, another approach might have been better. For instance, you could have said, "Ma'am, I am not sure if you realize this, but if the Captain puts on the brakes, your children could get hurt."

The airline, I think, is pretty well covered with the taxi-in announcement that states exactly what you told them. At my former airline, when the Captain turned on the Fasten Seat Belt sign, we were required to make an announcement. We were told that if the passengers did not comply, we were not to act like policemen and get all over their cases. They were adults, had been warned, and at that point were taking matters into their own hands.

Just my two cents...

Kathy

When jumpseating, after I board and introduce myself to the captain and first officer, I'll always go and introduce myself to the senior F/A and any other F/As I run into. Every time I introduce myself, I tell them not to hesitate to come get me to assist if they need it, no matter how small the issue. Then I joke that if they do need me, they'll probably have to slap me to wake me up, which is totally OK. And probably true!

I figure that by saying this, a) it's polite to introduce yourself to the cabin crew that is giving you a ride, particularly since you are interacting with them more during the flight, and b) it puts the ball in their court. I just stay quiet and don't make waves, unless either a flight attendant asks for my help or a situation is getting really out of control (like in-your-face type stuff).

After talking to the Captain and getting his approval I just keep my mouth shut and mind my own business unless someone asks me to do something, which never happens.

SkyBoy1981 said:
After talking to the Captain and getting his approval I just keep my mouth shut and mind my own business unless someone asks me to do something, which never happens.

me three.

btw the announcements are for safety, legality and liability issues and probably not in that order. once made, it is definitley better to let the adults be adults. we are not cops. if kids are running around and plane is taxiing, how could the fa not see?

i usually wear an id on a lanyard, which the crew (cabin included) can see as i board. i politely smile...say hello....then only speak when spoken too... and take a seat and get some rest when j/s'ing.

SkyBoy1981 said:

That's the way it's supposed to be done.

FlyChicaga said:
When jumpseating, after I board and introduce myself to the captain and first officer, I'll always go and introduce myself to the senior F/A and any other F/As I run into. Every time I introduce myself, I tell them not to hesitate to come get me to assist if they need it, no matter how small the issue.

WTF?!?! Do you take pictures of that and put it on the internet too? Dork!

Offcourse you were right to say something about that!

Irregardless of the fact that you were a jumpseater. People mind their own business too much as it is already. In this case it was your social responsibility to say something.

People that say that you should have kept your mouth shut are the ones that will walk an extra mile to not have to come to somebodies aid when they get mugged too!

Who says you even need to bring your professional experience into the fold? The parent needed to be told to control the kids, for their and your safety and the announcement of remaing in your seats, seat belt secured.. blah blah blah had previously been issued, you are now repeating to to a parent who didn't listen nor care and are doing so as a fellow passenger. It had to be done.

Whatever, mind your own business. It is not your job to babysit the cabin. Maybe say something if the kids were in iminate danger, but otherwise mind you business. Don't be the hero know it all passenger, and yes I did say PASSENGER.

FlyChicaga said:
When jumpseating, after I board and introduce myself to the captain and first officer, I'll always go and introduce myself to the senior F/A and any other F/As I run into. Every time I introduce myself, I tell them not to hesitate to come get me to assist if they need it, no matter how small the issue. Then I joke that if they do need me, they'll probably have to slap me to wake me up, which is totally OK. And probably true!

I figure that by saying this, a) it's polite to introduce yourself to the cabin crew that is giving you a ride, particularly since you are interacting with them more during the flight, and b) it puts the ball in their court. I just stay quiet and don't make waves, unless either a flight attendant asks for my help or a situation is getting really out of control (like in-your-face type stuff).

Chicago,
You know better than that to post "dorky pilot series" here. Please help you if you really say that to the flight attendants. It is not like they cannot take care of the cabin by themselves.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back