Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

protegepilot

Hi everyone,

I'm currently researching for a flight school or academy to attend in the bay area. My goal is to become an airline pilot just like almost everyone on this forum. I'm considering Sierra Academy, Bel-Air, and ATP in Sacremento (if I have to). I'm heavily considering Sierra as of right now, but I've done my research on the net and I've found that Sierra was temporarily closed due to a change of ownership back in January of 2004. Now after the change of ownership, is it still a good school that it once was from what I have read? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yeah, Im trying my best since Im halfway round the world. Currently, Im in Baghdad as US Army soldier. I wish I could visit Sierra Academy but that will be at least three months. Any input would be cool. Thanks!

Stay away from Sierra...The only thing they were good at was taking money and turning mediocre pilots at best.

If I were to chose from the schools you listed, I would choose ATP's.
Bel Air is ok but Sierra...yikes.
I have flown with many a pilot from Sierra and only one had any sort of skill beyond reading a checklist...and yes there is more to flying than reading a checklist.

I have never liked Sierra. Mostly from their ads and marketing. Have gotten a bad feeling from the on-line discussions I've had with those who know about the school. There is a forum dedicated to Sierra at (www.jetcareers.com) maybe worth checking out.

No direct experience but everybody seems to like ATP.

I had a friend who did all his ratings at Mazzei in Fresno. His overall impression was that it was a good school. Nice balance between quality and cost. I just checked their website (www.flymfs.com) and they accept VA guys.

Stay away from Bel-Air. The owner is a crook and many students have sued him for taking their money. I havent been to mazzei but the word is that they are pretty reputable of a program. Choose wisely.

Sir Humpalot said:
Stay away from Bel-Air. The owner is a crook and many students have sued him for taking their money. I havent been to mazzei but the word is that they are pretty reputable of a program. Choose wisely.
You know, come to think of it...I interviewed at Bel Air for an instructor position awhile ago and didn't get that great of a vibe there.

Mazzei's, from what I hear, is a pretty decent outfit.

My father-in-law was an instructor at All ATP's and he digs it there. He was happy with the program. In fact, I am finally going to get off my lazy butt and get my ATP (Been putting it off for oh...7 years or so) and am going to go to ATP up in SAC.

I am in the same boat as you looking for a flight school. From my research over the internet I am definetly leading toward ATP. The price is for sure lower than most that I have researched. And from what some say they are a pretty good overall school. But everyone has there opinions.

Thanks to all of you for the input. I checked out the sierra academy forum over at jetcareers.com and the last post over there was back in July. I figure these guys might wanna spruce up their reputation after a new management took over.
Wow! I cant believe Bel Air's or any flight training schools would rip students off and it seems like this business is based off of reputation. Is there any stable flight training schools in the bay area? Makes me wonder.
Based off of Mazzei's website, it looks decent and more affordable. I think I can make a better decision by visiting the schools and speaking with the instructors and students. Any input from current students at Sierra would be cool. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back