Is it really that rare?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

400A

Is it really that rare for employers to respond if you are not picked? I recently hired a new Capt. and once I hired him, I e-mailed back thanking eveyone for applying, and that the position had been filled. I was stunned that people seemed shocked to hear back.

I will say however when the ad is very specific that only those meeting the quals will be considered, I was stunned to find that less than 10% of applicants met the requirements. I understood the ones that were out of work and up front about that being why they applied anyway, but those that were looking to add type ratings were offensive.

The last job hopper was the reason we were so specific on the requirements.

Yeah, it's crazy how many people will apply for a job without having the required experience listed in the job requirements.

I posted a job opening as a favor for someone and I was later told that most of the applicants that applied for the job did not meet the required experience. I guess it's just wishful thinking on the part of the applicant.

Yes, it IS rare, here in the US. Go across the pond and you'll find that the employer and potential employee relationship is much more amicable. Must be a cultural thing!

Dustin H said:
Yeah, it's crazy how many people will apply for a job without having the required experience listed in the job requirements.

I posted a job opening as a favor for someone and I was later told that most of the applicants that applied for the job did not meet the required experience. I guess it's just wishful thinking on the part of the applicant.

They just think that the quals don't pertain to them, they should be the exception.

400, you're a good person for responding to all the applicants. I've had that happen a few times, and I always appreciated it. I had a call about five years ago regarding a position for which I'd applied; I didn't get the position because it went to someone less qualified for political reasons. I wasn't happy about the reasons, but I was impressed that the individual called and took the time to tell me.

I don't think such a level of response from an employer is common, but given the number of applicants that many jobs see, it's little wonder.

With respect to applicants who don't meet the technical qualifications, I've applied for positions in the past for which I was hired, when I didn't meet the qualifications. I'll be the first to say I believe I was most qualified for the job...or more appropriately, I was the best applicant for the job...but I left it in the hands of the employer to make that decision.

Someone who lacks a type for your aircraft may still be the best applicant; this person may be the one who will stick with you, give you better service, have better experience, and help carry your flight department to new heights. Spending the money to type that person is a very small investmentin your most critical and important resource; your personnel.

I'd much rather see an employer set a requirement for a year of service, with a contract and terms in association with a type, than not consider the best man for the job. The best man isn't always the one with the type or even time in type. For example, you have two applicants. You're flying a Lear, and one has a learjet type rating, the other doesn't. The one who has the type has a little time in type, but comes from an entirely different background than the type of operation you conduct. The one who doesn't have the type has a thousand hours of SIC in the airplane, and has spent ten years doing your type of flying. He's got significant experience in other high performance aircraft doing your kind of flying, a great track record, and he wants a stable place to go...and the type rating you're offering.

Investing in that guy might cost you a few dollars...but might be the cheapest money you spend with the best value, dollar for dollar.

I still apply to jobs for which I don't hold the technical qualifications. Sometimes I get called, sometimes I don't. I was hired into such a position last year, which I ultimately turned down...but the job was for a turbojet for which I held no type. Other applicants for that position did hold a type, and weren't hired. Other applicants at the interview held different types, but were hired into aircraft for which they weren't typed. This isn't uncommon. Each applicant was evaluated in personal interviews, a simulator, with written tests, and so forth. The employer extended offers to the candidates that the employer felt best fit their needs.

I understand your disgust with pilots who grab types and move on; they have no sense of honor. It's an unethical practice. However, don't discount the best man for the job merely because he or she lacks the type. You may be passing over the best employer you never had.

Swass said:
They just think that the quals don't pertain to them, they should be the exception.

That's not necessarily true. I have applied to a few 135 single pilot jobs just kind of hoping to get on because I'm less than 100 hours away and am laid off right now. I don't do that any more because hopefully soon my job will be back and I can't wait!
Don't quickjudge someone who doesn't meet the quals because sometimes there's a bigger picture and you might pass up someone you wish you hadn't.

Having a specific qualification may not always be a matter of finding the "right Person" I have found plenty of guys I can fly with and that will do the job well. For me it was a matter of having a "Qualified Beechjet Driver" so that I can be confident that if I get sick, there is someone very qualified as a pilot and very qualified in the Beechjet driver to get the mission done for the company. I dont trust someone new to the Beechjet to first of all handle the aircraft and the boss, but now also can handle a contract pilot.

I am not a control freak. My last pilot stayed with me 6-1/2 years. We swap seats on all trips, and when I am sick or on vacation I knew the aircraft and boss were in hands that were every bit as competent as mine. If I have to worry about turning someone loose with the boss or the aircraft, then I hired the wrong guy.

When I managed a staff of 8 airplanes and 12 pilots, I had the ability to give guys a chance and I did. The guy that just left only had 1800 hours when I hired him. 200 hours later he was in the left seat of the jet. I also typed anyone who flew for us. If they cant pass the type ride, they dont need to be on board.

Now that we are a one aircraft, two pilot operation, I did not feel I had that ability. In my mind it is all about safety and company requirements.

By the way, the guy I hired not only met the qualifications, he had 200 hours more in the aircraft than I do. I also took in to consideration that this gentleman was about to loose his job due to the outfit he flew for closing its doors. Many applicants were just pay shoping.

Also, to all you job shoppers out there.... The FIRST question when opening communications with a potential new employer should NEVER be: "WHAT DOES IT PAY"... obviously that will have to be addressed, but find out about the position and ask questions that will force the interviewer to discuss that. When a guy opens the conversation with that question, I could almost always look at their resume and see that they were job hoppers.

About 12 years ago, a now defunct 121 carrier hired an ole Navy buddy of mine. In their job ad they stated only pilots with L-1011 need apply all others will not be accepted. He had no L-1011 time, but got hired anyway, of the class of 16 only two guys had flown the L-1011. Anyway after two trips to Europe, he was upgraded to Captain on the L-1011. So much for employers sticking to what they advertise. As for job shoppers, you can get a hint by the questions they ask. They are shopping for a job that fits the job they would like to have and not necessarily the job you have to offer. They do not want to find out what the job has to offer, they ask questions to see if the job is meets their requirements.

avbug said:
Okay, I'll bite. How does one tell someone is a "job shopper," from their resume?

A "job shopper" is anyone looking for a new job. All resumes qualify for that.

I think you mean my reference to "job hoppers" at the end. When I look at a resume and someone NEVER stays at ANY operation more than 6 months to a year, and they are not obviously better jobs, than I call them "job hoppers" and I am not ineterested in them.

Latest resources

Back