Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Is a student a passenger or a crew member?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The original question concerned whether or not it was legal to give dual in a single-engine a/c while not single-engine current. The following quote is taken DIRECTLY from the interpretation circulating above:\

""We agree that, for purposes of section 61.57(b), an authorized instructor providing instruction in an aircraft is not considered a passenger with respect to the person receiving instruction, even where the person receiving the instruction is acting as PIC. (The instructor must be current, qualified to instruct, and hold a category, class and type rating in the aircraft, if a class and type rating is required.) ""

Question answered right?

Regarding the night currency in the Robinson: I haven't read the applicable SFAR 73 (2) (d), but the following leads me to believe that this is also not a pass on night currency:

""We agree with your analysis, that a neither a properly trained and qualified instructor nor the person receiving instruction is a passenger for purposes of SFAR 73(2)(d).""

It's the use of the abstract term "qualified" that would cause me to err on the side of caution. But I could see the interpretation in a pinch.

Regardless, it seems perfectly clear that in an airplane the flight instructor needs to be current.

Avbug: The document you have used to quote from seems to fully address the question of a student pilot receiving instruction from a non-currert CFI in ASEL. The answer is that the flight is legal it seems. Now the quote: (The instructor must be current, qualified to instruct, and hold a category, class and type rating in the aircraft, if a class and type rating is required.) Doesn't seem to apply here becasue this is not an aircraft that requires a class and type rating.

Could someone please provide the full document that the quotes are coming from.

Thank you.

Doesn't seem to apply here becasue this is not an aircraft that requires a class and type rating.

I'm beginning to question your NASA credentials

Category:

Airplane, Rotorcraft, Glider, etc.

Class(for airplane category): Single Engine Land, Multi-Engine Land, S.E. Seam M.E. Sea(for Rotorcraft): Helicopter, Gyrocopter.(and then the rest for the other categories)

And then type ratings as applicable.

The point is that every aircraft has a requirement to be rated for category and class. So the rule quoted above absolutely applies. It's the type rating that is not always required.

Doesn't seem to apply here becasue this is not an aircraft that requires a class and type rating.

A class rating is usually applicable; Airplane (Category), Single engine Land (Class). It's a type that's not required.

The point is that every aircraft has a requirement to be rated for category and class. So the rule quoted above absolutely applies.

What's the class rating for glider and powered lift? It doesn't apply in every case.

""We agree that, for purposes of section 61.57(b), an authorized instructor providing instruction in an aircraft is not considered a passenger with respect to the person receiving instruction, even where the person receiving the instruction is acting as PIC. (The instructor must be current, qualified to instruct, and hold a category, class and type rating in the aircraft, if a class and type rating is required.) ""

Question answered right?

Not in the slightest. Clearly per the interpretation the emboldened statement does not mean the flight instructor must be current with respect to 14 CFR 61.57 (recency of flight experience)...the entire interpretation points to that. What it does tell us, however, is that an instructor must be current...the instructor certificate must be renewed every two years to be current.

The instructor must also be qualified to instruct, which includes holding the necessary privileges on his or her flight instructor certificate.

Further, the instructor must be rated in the airplane (category, class, and where appropriate, type).

Last edited:
I'm still not so sure.....if this is the correct interpretation then there are two very different vernaculars for "current and qualified".....my point now becoming that even with this legal interpretation in hand, I'm not sure that it's all black and white. Where in the interpretation did it relieve the instructor of maintaining 90-day currency?

I'm still not so sure.....if this is the correct interpretation then there are two very different vernaculars for "current and qualified".....my point now becoming that even with this legal interpretation in hand, I'm not sure that it's all black and white. Where in the interpretation did it relieve the instructor of maintaining 90-day currency?
Probably the part where FAA Lega says
==============================
This training may take place, even though neither pilot has met the 61.57(b) requirements.
==============================
...at least with respect to a CFI and at least a private pilot flying together.

I think that earlier in the thread I scoped my comments down to the student pilot/CFI, if not, I accepted that as a given.

I think that earlier in the thread I scoped my comments down to the student pilot/CFI, if not, I accepted that as a given.
I don't think that the new opinion that says it's okay applies to a CFI and a "student pilot." The older opinion that deals with a "student pilot" and a CFI (that requires the CFI to have pilot currency) does.

Latest resources

Back