Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Capthuff

A Pirate past 40
I posted this on the FARs board too. I am just wondering what your thoughts are.

As we know, the FARs state that when operating in a foriegn country we shall abide by the regulations of that country. According to ICAO, in any aircraft that requires a type rating, both pilots must be typed. here are my questions.

1) do you operate with both pilots typed?

2) if not, do you get a waiver from the countries you visit?

3) how do you get the waiver?

4) do you go anyway and hope you dont get caught?

thanks
Cappy

PS Happy Holidays

We had only two FO's who were typed. They were about to be upgraded.

I was FO for many flights to the Carribean and Central America, and many of our other guys flew to Mexico.

We never got the Gulfstream, so I can't say what would have been required in Europe.

1) Both need to be typed if going to E.U. or Asia. For now, you will probably be ok in Mexico and Central America. Most of Central America is going to new regs closely following the JARs, both pilots will be required to possess type ratings for the acft they are operating.

2) Never heard of a waiver

3) ?

4) You will get caught, civil aviation personnel for most countries love to check and re-check acft and personal documents.

YES - the 2 pilot type rated is serious.
Brazil checks very thoroughly.
My guess is you would be airlining home that day if you showed up without a type.

Operators of DA900's also have to carry a letter that says the type rating "DA50" covers the 900 too. They are that picky.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back