Interview Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rjdreamer

Have an upcoming interview and can't recall or find the answers to a couple of questions. Maybe I never knew the answer! Anyway, here they are:
1. When does second segment climb begin?
2. What is danger associated w/wind shear and increasing headwind?
3. 121-What percent of useable runway and from what height above appch end of runway is required for landing?
4. Same ? as above but for alternate.
As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

OMFG, ANYONE that flies a 121 aircraft should know this stuff ALREADY. The regionals are NOT a training ground and regional captains are NOT CFIs!!! This is basic stuff for anyone in the 121 environment. 121 is not an entry level position. Go fly 135 for a couple of years, learn the basics of commercial flying and THEN apply at a 121 carrier. This crap had gotten totally out of hand.

80for80 said:
OMFG, ANYONE that flies a 121 aircraft should know this stuff ALREADY. The regionals are NOT a training ground and regional captains are NOT CFIs!!! This is basic stuff for anyone in the 121 environment. 121 is not an entry level position. Go fly 135 for a couple of years, learn the basics of commercial flying and THEN apply at a 121 carrier. This crap had gotten totally out of hand.

you are a nerd. you probably started with 300hrs dork

80for80,
Relax, deep breaths..........
This guy is just trying to educate himself and prepare for an interview. Based on his profile I dont think he flies "a 121 aircraft already". Cut the boy some slack.
I would like to think that with your wide variety of aircraft flown and 10K hrs of experience you would be willing to help him prepare but then again maybe you knew all of this stuff at 600 hrs, or maybe no one ever made an effort to help you out. Who knows??!!
While I agree with you that the CA's primary job is not as a cfi, I still believe it is a duty and responsibility of the CA to both teach and mentor the new hire FOs. Afterall, a lot of people were willing to help me out during my first few months at the airlines.
Think of it as good karma.

Good luck to RJdreamer!

80for80 said:

OMFG! Maybe if the regionals, who are all 121, and apparently superior to any 135 operation, would pay equal to or more than the lowly 135 operators, then your post would make sense. When many regionals are hiring with 300 - 500 hrs because they pay less than 20k per year, then this part of 121 truly IS entry level. I can make lots more and be home with my family every day flying 135. How many posts here are from regional guys trying to figure out how to get INTO 135??

80for80 said:

This is why flightinfo has gone downhill.

Let me ask you 80for80, should a non part 121 pilot know runway requirements for FAR 121? If you ever go interview for a 91k or 135 job, I'm sure you'll become an expert on the regs before hand.

PS 80for80,

Without looking it up, what is the Day VFR cloud and visibility requirement for class G above 1200 AGL and below 10,000 msl?

I’m sure you know this right? Part 91 rules still apply.

80for80 said:
Go fly 135 for a couple of years, learn the basics of commercial flying and THEN apply at a 121 carrier.

There are so many things I want to say right now. But they are all secondary to

GO AWAY!

If you guys are so good why don't you answer the questions.....Second segment begins with gear retraction and goes to 400 feet. Second segment can really be limiting say out of a field like MDW, you must maintain a certain climb gradient during the segmentwith an engine out. It is 2 something degrees but I would have to look it up. Cheers.

Last edited:
TurboS7,
Many thanks. Didn't think I would make someone mad by asking a few questions. Guess I wasn't born with all of this aviation knowledge already in my head as appearantly 80for80 was. Wonder why he didn't answer the questions? And I concur, the CA should always be a mentor and leader and that means being a teacher also. Oh well, it takes all kinds.

rjdreamer said:
Have an upcoming interview and can't recall or find the answers to a couple of questions. Maybe I never knew the answer! Anyway, here they are:
1. When does second segment climb begin?
2. What is danger associated w/wind shear and increasing headwind?
3. 121-What percent of useable runway and from what height above appch end of runway is required for landing?
4. Same ? as above but for alternate.
As always, any and all help is greatly appreciated.

I don't have any 121 experience (just an old retired Air Force IP) but for what its worth:
1. Gear retraction.
2. Windshear of any kind has dangers for an increasing headwind one danger is it will cause you to reduce power which is dangerous if you then encounter a tailwind like you would passing through a microburst.
3. 60%; 50 feet
4. same as above.

Good luck at your interview. You may want to get your hands on some ATP test prep materials. Those questions are from the ATP test I believe.

Latest resources

Back