Interview Questions...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1. Should you pass upwind or downwind of a thunderstorm

2. GPS-A, LOC-D, What does the A and D indicate?

3. Looking at a approach chart how do I know I need authorization to shoot the approach?

4.Why some VOR's have a box and some don't?

I'll have a go...

1. Upwind, unless you're in a hurry.

2. The approach does not qualify for straight-in minimums, per TERPS...circling minimums apply.

3. Got me. (if by "authorization", you mean a clearance, I'd sayalways when IFR)

4. If you're talking about the hexagonal symbols used to depict a VOR on a chart, the square around it indicates it's a VOR/DME station.

How'd I do, and which Regional did I get hired (or not) by?

1. Should you pass upwind or downwind of a thunderstorm

Seriously? Have you ever flown near thunderstorms? Look at a thunderstorm cell, and decide for yourself. I think the answer will be pretty obvious. It's almost like asking, what would hurt more? Standing to the left of the train tracks, or standing on the train track when a train approaches?

3. Looking at a approach chart how do I know I need authorization to shoot the approach?
Authorization? Do you mean as if you have enough minimums to shoot the approach? Visibility is controlling, so look at that. Some plates require visibility and ceiling as controlling, in that case, there's a note about it. But look at the minimums required for your cateogry aircraft.

4.Why some VOR's have a box and some don't?

Which box? The box that holds the FSS name and frequency? Some VORs have that.

You pass a thunderstorm on the side ATC has given you clearance to deviate on, ie "the warning area is active, do not deviate north."

Circleing approaches? Thats my guess.

You will always need a clearance for an approach if you are on an ifr flight plan.

I think you mean the dme box.

If I score less than passing, does that mean I never have to fly for a regional again!!!?:D

From what I can remember an A means that the approach course is more than 30 degrees off from the runway course and the box on the VOR indicates that the VOR is associated with an airway. Thats all that I can recall, too lazy to get the books out.

Charty you are right on!

Amish Rake fight, why waste your time even writing something. I guess you are the smartest pilot I have met, congratulations!

Basil, thanks, hired by SkyWest

I can not seem to find the flying upwind or downwind of a thunderstorm answer besides all your obvious answers. aviationinterviews has a lot of guess asked that question...

I can not seem to find the flying upwind or downwind of a thunderstorm answer besides all your obvious answers. aviationinterviews has a lot of guess asked that question...

Dude, forget about locating an answer and use your brain. There is a logical answer to this.

Imagine flying a north bound airway with a TS off to your 10 o'clock, 30 miles away. This cell is moving from west to east. Would you rather be in front of this or behind it?

I'm no avbug and don't claim to know it all. I wasn't trying to offend you but these are quite rudimentary questions and an ATP should really have learned all this perhaps at the commerical pilot level. Didnt mean to offend you and I did state that earlier.

Regarding the danger of being downwind...

We encountered small hail in the clear at FL410, 30nm downwind of a TS at night over Nebraska. We appeared to be even with the tops. The wind can carry that hail quite a distance. And, of course, never fly under the anvil for the same reason.

When's Skywest Indoc? I'll need to give two weeks notice!

Would you rather be upwind or downwind of a fart? Think of a TS as a big ole smelly fart. With lightning.

Latest resources

Back