• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Interview and college grades

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Of course do not lie, but that post was more of a jab at the "You must have a college degree" crowd.

Of course do not lie, but that post was more of a jab at the "You must have a college degree" crowd.

Yip,

For a lot of companies you must have a college degree to get a call. However, I never thought I say this, but the pilot shortage of '07 that you talked about is upon us. A college degree may not matter.

When the airlines have a choice, they want a degree. When the pickings get short, they only want warm bodies to help their bottom line.

In other words, a degree matters most of the time. You honestly have to be retarded to think a degree doens't mean anything.

I have never said a degree doesn't mean anything, I have only stated it is not necessary to have a successful career as a pilot. The counrty needs all of the college educated people it can get who apply what they have learned in college to make the USA a better place to live. Pilots rarely use thier degrese in thier career.

I have never said a degree doesn't mean anything, I have only stated it is not necessary to have a successful career as a pilot. The counrty needs all of the college educated people it can get who apply what they have learned in college to make the USA a better place to live. Pilots rarely use thier degrese in thier career.

God bless our counrty of pilots and thier degrese!

lol

:beer:

I hardly ever hear of people getting asked where they went to college in interviews. I wouldn't sweat it, but if they do ask just tell them you were too wasted to remember to go to class.

Like I have said before, MY 4th grade teacher wanted to hold me back because of speeling. Just another example of being a good or bad speeler has nothing to do with flying an airplane. BTW why do most pilots being hired have college degrees? Because most pilots applying have degrees. It is very simple if you understand math.

Like I have said before, MY 4th grade teacher wanted to hold me back because of speeling. Just another example of being a good or bad speeler has nothing to do with flying an airplane. BTW why do most pilots being hired have college degrees? Because most pilots applying have degrees. It is very simple if you understand math.

I'm just giving you a hard time :beer:

I don't think the 4-year degree is a showstopper at the regionals right now, but it will be in the future as hiring slows down. These days, as someone interested in an airline career, I think it would be silly to not get it. It's a lot easier and more convenient to get with the online programs out there.

g

My thoughts exactly, do your degree on-line full time college for a pilot puts you behind those who are flying for a living while you are in college. Plus it is cheaper and sometimes you can get your employer to pay for it. Yoiu come out a age 25 with very little debt, lots of good flight time, a couple type rating and a 4 yr degree you will probably not use.

I've got an interview with a major coming up and I'm concerned that my sub par performance in college will hurt me. Any advice?

I was asked similar questions about my sub par grades in college by both a regional and major when I interviewed. (got hired by both)

It all revolves around several things but the biggies are: taking full responsibility in your attitude when answering that question and an answer that sounds honest and believable.

Ask yourself 'why?' you didn't get good grades and then use elements of that (maybe not 100% truth like: I partied too much. common, but doesn't sound good) and then be prepared to answer it. Practice this answer in various forms before hand (as well as other potential 'killer' questions) until you are comfortable, not nervous and sincere in your answer.

When I was asked: 'I see you have some D's and some failures of classes at the University of ______.". That's how one asked. It wasn't really a jab question to get me to be defensive but more of a statement with an intention for me to 'talk about this' and explain it. In other words, if you are a good candidate and you don't have too many skeletons in the closet that need explaining on that day then have some poise and confidence and take responsibility and explain yourself, short and sweet....no need to go into chapters of 'why'. Ie: 'although finishing my degree was very important to me, I really didn't have my head in the books. I was flight instructing (or flying or insert sob story here if necessary) and go sidetracked. If I had to do it over again I would definitely have spent more time to finish stronger".

hope this helps. It worked for me (suckers:beer: )

Love,
Dr. Pheel

Latest resources

Back