Interesting Question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

KINGAIR PIC

I've noticed during the past couple of weeks when flying into some of the larger airports, like IAH and DFW, that there's a lot of construction going on.

When flying into IAH, I asked the controller what they were doing, and he said they are building 2 new runways.
Over at DFW, they are building new terminals.

I just don't understand it. The airline industry is doing so badly, and has been for the past 1.5 years, and airports are expanding like crazy. It's not like its getting any better out there yet.

If anyone has a thought as to what is going on, I am curious.

My guess is that construction projects this large take many years to complete. This includes a long period before the first bit of dirt is turned over. I would think that all of these projects were set in motion a few years ago when air travel was booming. Evidently the projects, once started, have a huge amount of momentum behind them and aren't easily put to a halt.

pork barreling

probably federal use it or lose it money, i've seen it before, airports have a bunch of money to use so they start all kinds of projects so they'll still have the money coming to them the next fiscal year

I think this might answer your question! In my opinion you would be stupid to not use this "FREE" money! Looking at the overall picture, any airport that applies for these types of grants and actually gets the funding will make them (the airport) the next place for us to file as our destination or alternates because of the new facilities.

$34,000,000 Grant For Airport Operators, Assists sponsors, owners and operators of public-use airports by providing federal funding for eligible projects such as improvement and development of runways, taxiway and apron pavement maintenance, purchase of navigational equipment, land acquisition for development, and other capital improvements. Headquarters Office: FAA, Office of Airport Planning and Programming, Airports Financial Assistance Division, APP-500, 800 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20591; 202-267-3831. Residents of the states of Maryland, Delaware, Virginia, and West Virginia should contact the Atlanta Airports District Office listed for consultation and application assistance. Only those projects considered by FAA Administrator to be necessary to provide for a safe and efficient airport system and to meet the current and projected growth of civil aeronautics will be considered. Applicants must be a sponsor, owner, or operator of a public-use airport listed in the National Plan of Integrated Airport Systems (NPIAS) and having at least 2,500 passengers boarding annually and receiving scheduled passenger aircraft service. Contact Federal Aviation Administration, Robert Mendez, Division Manager, Airports Division, Eastern Region, FAA, 1 Aviation Place, Jamaica, NY 11434; 718-553-3330; Fax: 718-995-5615; {[email protected]}; {www.faa.gov/as0/aso600/sponsorguide/index}.

Actually...

in addition to the pork barrell and long term spending aswers, the state of the industry may just be contributing to the need for airport expansion. Remember that a lot of widebody flying is being replaced by smaller jets flying the same route structures more often. When it comes to landing on a runway or taking up gate space it doesn't matter if the jet carries 70 people or 370, so more regional jets means more infrastructure required to service the same number of passengers.

Boom -> Bust -> Boom

The industry is also cyclical. By the time the infastructure is completed, the economy will be booming again. Ever see how long it takes to build these things. Start building in a boom time, finish in a boom time.

Latest resources

Back