Instrument With Part 141 Schools

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Delta3

I would like to do my instrument with a part 141 school and was wondering if I can pass my written by myself, without their ground school.

Also, how many hours does it take to get the instrument with 141?

Instrument training

I can't answer your questions since I am really only familiar with 61. I'm sure you know that it's a minimum of 40 hours under 61, 20 can be in a ground trainer. I think the best guy I ever signed off had 45 hours. If 141 allows less than 40 hours, it's a waste of effort because it's doubtful you'll be ready for the checkride with less than 40 hours, anyways. Good luck and try to get some actual.

141 Instrument rating

I second de727ups about getting actual. The funny thing about flying in actual v. flying under the hood is that it's easier to fly in actual. Having the hood atop your head is a distraction in and of itself.

I instructed primarily in 141 schools, but all the people I knew were taking a complete 141 Commercial-Instrument course. I suspect you would have to attend the ground school as part of the 141 course.

Which may not be such a bad thing at all. You stand to learn more and receive more in-depth knowlege if you have to prepare for class, interact with your class and your instructor, study, and take tests. You learn more and you learn it better if you're forced to use all your senses and learn interactively. That is bolstered if you form a study group with your classmates and work together. You learn less if all you do is read the books, memorize the ASA book and/or watch the King tapes. Although I never used the King tapes, I took ground schools by the other methods mentioned above, and I learned more and enjoyed it more by going to class.

Good luck with your training.

I took my instrument part 61 and my private 141. I recieved my private in 35 hrs on the nose and completed my instrument in 50 hrs total with the minimum of 40 hrs hood time. I can say you can do it with the minimal amount of time both ways if you study constantly as well as fly. I used the King tapes for the instrument but didn't stop there. I bought a ton of ancillary stuff to read and I haven't stopped since. I like 141 better because it's structured, I think you have better continuity in your lessons since the instructor knows exactly what you know, did and what you need to do. 161 can be to random, undisciplined and unstructured if you're on a mission. Some people prefer it but you need to be the one to take charge in your progress.

Delta3,

I would say that you may learn a lot from the 141 ground simply because you are in a structured classroom environment where there will be discussions among your instructor and peers. You will learn additional things that will not necessarily be in your textbooks. But, if you are motivated and capable of studying on your own, you can read the written prep guides and watch the videos and come out cheaper than doing the structured ground school. It typically will take the average person more than the minimum FAR hours to complete the flying. You will have to compare the pros and cons of 141 vs. 61 (which is what you appear to be doing) to find out which one is right for YOU. I did the majority of my training under 61 and I personally saved myself more $$$.

Best of luck.

I used to instruct at a 141 school a while ago. Students that enrolled in any of our 141 programs were required to sit through our 141 written class and take the 141 written test. The only way they could use a 61 written test was if they had taken it prior to enrolling in the 141 course. In other words, if you enrolled in the 141 instrument course today, you would have to take the written test in our 141 ground school unless you have already taken the written test part 61 prior to todays date. Combining part 61 with part 141 can be done, but it can be a little confusing. If you enroll part 141, it is possible to credit a certain percentage of your previous time as part 61 time that will go towards your 141 hour requirements. However, if you do this you will give up 141 examinging authority with your school and take your checkride with the FAA. Not really a big deal if you are prepared. This is good to know info. for when you are going for your commercial, especially if you have lots of time outside of the 141 school. Make sure you talk to a knowledgeable person that knows all the ins and outs when enrolling in a 141 school. If they don't, you could end up flying more than you really needed to and up costing you more money than necessary.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back