Info on Skydiving Outfits

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
TDTURBO said:
I used to regularly jump at SDC when it was in Morris until thier Ottor went down killing all a few years back. It is a class operation, I was considering working for them part time just for fun since I have well over 1000 hrs in 182's. Maybe someday after I retire, I always had a blast jumping there, it's big on safety, that I do know.

What would be the chances of getting hired there with my time in type at age 46 when I'm retired?

Also, what do they pay?

One. SDC never was at Morris.

Two. Their Otters have never crashed killing all on board.

Where did you get this from?

DiverDriver said:
One. SDC never was at Morris.

Two. Their Otters have never crashed killing all on board.

Where did you get this from?

Thanks... I wasn't even going to bother to set him straight, but since you did....

The organization in Morris was called Skydive Illinois. They got really big in 99 and 00 then had problems from drugs (using) and others including 9-11 that they were never able to overcome... I worked there as the pilot for the last year... After all the drug stuff blew over they were a good outfit.. probably would have survived for a few more years except the Morris airport was expanding and most GA guys and Skydivers don't get along very well so they found an (illeagal) way to evict them from the airport. The owner of SDI did win his lawsuit against the city from what I heard but is now a drummer in a band on tour in europe.

-More Useless Information

-AlaskaBob

How many hours do you need to get on with a CASA or Super Otter at a place like North Carolina Sky Sport and the like in Florida?

Thanks again guys...

MDAutry said:
How many hours do you need to get on with a CASA or Super Otter at a place like North Carolina Sky Sport and the like in Florida?

Thanks again guys...

To get on flying a turbine at a skydiving operation you will need previous jump pilot experience.. PERIOD... go fly a 182 or 206 somewhere else first. or fly at a dropzone that has both recips and turbines. Not trying to be a buzzkill or anything that's just how it works... There is no PFT or big 141 school or 30 years flying a 747 over the pond. they just don't care.. the DZ owners first question will always be. 'Have you ever flown jumpers before?'

CSS..... That's a whole can o' worms....
Time is really not important, but you must ask yourself...

1. Will you work for peanuts?
2. Willing to mow grass when not flying? (no extra pay)
3. Do you like washing a whole otter by yourself?
4. Verbal abuse.... Can you handle it? (Alot)
5. Can you pick up and move at the drop of a hat.
6. Do you have more than 2 levels of airworthiness??? e.g. broke, kinda broke, needs fixed sometime, needs fixed soon, just one more load then we need to fix it, working ok, perfectly fine.... (you won't need the last one)

I never worked there BTW, but my best friend did.. he quit to go work on boats instead of fly..

Latest resources

Back