Ifr Currency

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

captdorn81

Ok quick question. Does IFR currency last for 6 callender months or 6 months to the day of the last flight/sim.?

captdorn81 said:
Ok quick question. Does IFR currency last for 6 callender months or 6 months to the day of the last flight/sim.?

If you look in the regulations in the part on IFR currency, you will find the answer.

61.57c tells you that you need to have the requisite instrument work within the preceeding 6 calendar months. That is, if you did the requisite work on the 1st of January and the 23rd of July each year, you would never lapse in currency even though it has been more than 26 weeks between refreshers in some cases. When you would fly as PIC IFR on the 15th of July and the last time you did the requisite instrument work was on Jan 1st, you have done it within the preceeding 6 calendar months.

Andy Neill said:
61.57c tells you that you need to have the requisite instrument work within the preceeding 6 calendar months. That is, if you did the requisite work on the 1st of January and the 23rd of July each year, you would never lapse in currency even though it has been more than 26 weeks between refreshers in some cases. When you would fly as PIC IFR on the 15th of July and the last time you did the requisite instrument work was on Jan 1st, you have done it within the preceeding 6 calendar months.

D@mn, I was trying to encourage some fundamental research skills which would serve him well in later life. You're only enabling the intellectual and moral decline of today's youth ;)

I hear what you are saying. Some light a candle in the darkness; others point the way to the matches. Either way gets the job done.

Thanks guys, actually I was just out of town and a buddy called me with the question and I told him that I was not sure, and it bothered me enough to ask so I fired off the question to you guys. Anyways thanks for the answer.

D@mn, I was trying to encourage some fundamental research skills which would serve him well in later life. You're only enabling the intellectual and moral decline of today's youth ;)

No good deed goes unpunished eh?

Latest resources

Back