• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

IFR contact approach question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Like I said before if you have visual contact with the runway and ask for a visual, but the controller can't give you a visual because the weather is reported below mim's - you ask for a contact approach. Thats why we have the contact approach. If you see the runway and want a visual you can now get it without the full procedure.

HEADWIND

Headwind said:
Like I said before if you have visual contact with the runway and ask for a visual, but the controller can't give you a visual because the weather is reported below mim's - you ask for a contact approach. Thats why we have the contact approach. If you see the runway and want a visual you can now get it without the full procedure.

HEADWIND

All true, but you don't have to have the runway or the airport in sight to do a contact approach.

Singlecoil said:
All true, but you don't have to have the runway or the airport in sight to do a contact approach.

Yep...couldn't figure out why, but I was out with a student a while back and we were being vectored for the ILS (vis went to 2 for a while). I said "I have the airport in sight if it helps" and I couldn't figure out why the controller came back on with: "Oh...so you have ground contact".

My understanding is that's all you need...

1sm, stay out of the clouds, navigate to the airport under those conditions..

...me being the dumb@ss didn't realize what he was saying and was like "yep...so 230 on the heading and 3000" haha...he had to be thinking I was a doof...oh well.

-mini

Controllers can be good at giving hints. Like, "Well the airspace here is IFR at the moment, isn't that SPECIAL?"

The best one I ever heard was "We are running a "special" on IFR clearances" to a non instrument rated pilot trying to land at a class D airport. Unfortunatley, the pilot didnt get the hint. E for effort, though.

Latest resources

Back