• Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bytheseatofmy

Can a 1960 C172A get IFR certification if it has a venturi vacuum system and
no pitot heat?
It does have mode C and an ILS etc.

Last edited:
Yes you can, but in what type of weather would you want to fly it? You need to have the equipment in FAR 91.205. You would also need to have the pitot/static system, and altimeter certified, and check your VOR every 30 days. Keep in mind your transponder/mode C should already be being checked every 24 months even for VFR use (this is often not the case of VFR only aircraft). You do not need pitot heat, but I would stay well clear of the ice. Keep in mind your venturi would also ice up during an ice encounter. The second thing to remember is that your gyros will not be spun up until your moving, so they are hard to check. I would want the turn coord./turn and bank to be electric and not have all vaccum instruments (if they are). I would fly such a plane IFR if equiped/certified, but I would set "personal minimums" regarding ice, ceiling, visability, etc.

As Wrech said there is no problem certifying this plane for IFR. It was probably sold as "IFR equiped" back in 55 or whenever.

Actively USEING it for IFR however, seems like asking for trouble. I wouldn't feel comfortable takeing a plane like that into solid IFR. Maybee useing it to cruise on top, and ocasionally shoot an aproach but that would be it.

A vacum pump and heated pitot tube are probably available, and shouldn't be too expensive.

Wrenchnfly said:
Keep in mind your venturi would also ice up during an ice encounter.
Actually, a ventury will "create" an icing encounter...as warm, moist, cloudy air has its pressure reduced by the venturi, it also cools adiabatically. If it cools enough, it will create ice in the venturi, eliminating your vacuum source. This is just like the ice created in the carburetor, btw..you just don't have a "venturi heater" to get rid of it.

Fly safe!

David

Latest resources

Back