IFR Altitudes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dapilot

I know the east/west rule but under IFR control, does that rule still apply? (or below 240?) I have been filed and given odd cruising altitudes going northbound and west cruising altitudes going east bound and at other times center has changed my "filed" altitude for "direction of flight" - what gives? :)

Would like your opinion on this guys - thanks!

No. The east/west odd/even rule is for IFR outside of controlled airspace. Then you make up your own altitude following that rule. In controlled airspace, it is 'as assigned by atc'.

I teach IFR altitude decisions should be based on performance, MEAs, and weather conditions, but to be aware that most pilots file by the even/odd rule, so that is what the traffic flow will dictate.

Then I found out that the ATC handbook tells controllers to assign via the even/odd rule, so...go figure.

Then I found out that the ATC handbook tells controllers to assign via the even/odd rule, so...go figure.
I go figure that the very next section of the ATC handbook says:

==============================
4-5-3. EXCEPTIONS
When traffic, meteorological conditions, or aircraft operational limitations prevent assignment of altitudes prescribed in para 4-5-2, Flight Direction, assign any cardinal altitude or flight level below FL 290 or any odd cardinal flight level at or above FL 290 without regard to direction of flight as follows: (followed by a bunch of conditions, a number of which simply involve coordination with other sectors or LOIs)
==============================

Jax Center, if close to Jacksonville, gives even when eastbound and odd when westbound. Don't know the reason, but I'm sure there is one.

HEADWIND

so correct answer to the question is when IFR, the east/west rule does NOT apply - it is what ATC assigns

so correct answer to the question is when IFR, the east/west rule does NOT apply - it is what ATC assigns
so the correct answer is that when IFR the east/west rule does apply, but only in Class G airspace.

Of course, that's only correct because it's what the rule says.

Latest resources

Back