Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

If you had to do your training again....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hindsight is 20/20 . . . .

My experience is different than most of the people here. I was 31 when I learned how to fly, which I did for fun. I kept up with earning ratings because I wanted to be the best pilot I could. I earned my CFI to try to put my flying on a paying basis. I earned all my certificates with independent instructors under Part 61. I decided later to change careers and needed my multi ratings. I earned those with an instructor who owned a Baron. I already had my four-year college degree, so that square was checked. All the while, I was working my regular job. I had no other money on which to fall back.

In looking back, I realize that I did not learn everything I should have learned under the scheme in which I trained. So, if I had it to do over again, I would have bit the bullet, applied for a loan, stopped working, and have gone full-time to either a good professional school to finish my ratings and repeat ground school in a classroom environment, or an aviation college such as Embry-Riddle and have earned a second B.S., in Aeronautical Science.

Hope that helps.

depends on if I either A-had the money or access to some or B-had no access to money

A-if I had the money and wanted to go as fast as possible....I'd have gone to AllATPs. I don't think you can beat the deal for all the multi you get. When things were hot, guys were leaving there with 600TT and getting hired at COEX and others. It is VERY expensive, but in the end you could go from zero to hired in like a year and a half with over 1000TT and most of it multi.

B-if money was harder to come by or borrow....I'd buy a cheap Cessna. I have a student who bought an old 150 and has used it for his PPL, Inst and most of his commercial. He paid 17K for it, has put almost nothing into it, and will probably sell it for around 19K. So, in the end he'll get almost through his Comm license for just paying fuel and insurance. He paid very little, had fun having his own plane, and did it all very quickly. He'll have to spend some money renting an RG to finish his comm and get his CFI ticket, but the amount is very little compared to what I paid.

it all depends on your circumstances. If you have the money or don't mind borrowing it, look into AllATPs and MAPD. Bottom line, if you go to one of those and have a decent melon above your shoulders, you could by flying an RJ in less than two years.

best of luck, any way you go it'll be an adventure

UP

Two good friends of mine just finished their training at PSA in the DO-328. They both attended the Community College of Beaver County for a Professional Pilot degree. For the price you can't beat the school. Its a small place to learn but the school has many connections throughout the country of past instructors who are willing to walk in resumes for any instructor who meets teh time requirements. The school has a great reputation with airlines like Chautauqua, PSA, Allegheny, COEX, ACA, Commutair, Flight Options, and Exec-jet. I instruct at one of the FBO's that was used by the college and just the other day I had friends walk in to talk to some of us about Chautauqua and Flight Options. Remember, it's all about who you know.

I went to Comair Aviation Academy. If money is not a problem I would definately check it out. I feel that I got a top notch education there. I have trained at your "local" trainning centers as well. I can tell you that there is no comparason. I would never have passed either of my airline interviews without Comairs trainning standard. In fact I am sure I would have been embaressed. My only regret was leaving there to instruct somewhere else. Although I am lucky and got hired by another regional. Many of my friends who left will be a good 6 months to 1.5 years behind the guys who stayed. 1000 and 100 will get you in the door at alot of places if you are a Comair Instructor. 2000 and 500 will get you in if your not. Except of course Riddle guys who are top notch as well.

I would suggest you ask yourself if you want to do something so important as cheap as possible or as well as possible.

Good Luck

Philair use to be PhilScare

When I was at Riddle, Phil was having more problems than one would think possible. He had his 141 cert yanked a couple times over a 15 or 16 month period.

Glad to hear things have changed.

Graduated with my BS in the spring of 99, and with my MS is the fall of 01. I instructed there Fall of 00 through Spring 01.

Thanks guys

Thanks guys for all your comments. I knew that money would be a big factor in deciding where to go, and that researching the right school for my training would be important. You just here so many comments and then you come to a halt thinking am i doing the right thing!! I suppose you just have to stick with what you decide. The tip about picking a flying school where you might work is really helpful, and looking for a school that has twins to build up the multi time. I have a little while yet before i have saved up half of what i expect to spend on training, i just want to get going!

It seems that Florida is definitely the place to go!!

Thanks again.

JB.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back