Icing questions?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Blow your boots and blow them often"

I agree with some of the advice that "JetPilot500" and others have given you.
However, I must jump in and tell you that blowing your boots often is bad advice (IMO).
I have extensive experience of flying high performance turbo-prop equipment with excellent boots in icing conditions.
Let me offer you this - before you go "blowing" your boots because you see ice on the wings, look for a performance degredation. Specifically watch the airspeed. This will be one of the first indications that you are hauling ice.
If you are flying a machine that weighs less than 15000lbs I would wait until you see a loss of 5 to 8 kts before using your boots.
Another quick gouge is to watch for the depth. If you have a stall vane/lift indicator located on your wing that you can see.... pump the boots just prior to the depth equaling the highth of that surface.
Sorry to be brief, but I just couldn't let this get by you. I've watched and checked many in these conditions. If you dont' do it right, you will bridge icing gaps on the wing.
Remember to be conservative and don't act in haste.

Take Care and Good Luck,

DRVA320

One more thing on icy runways; always slow enough that power is required to exit the runway. Don't try to exit under the inertia gained when landing. Slow straight ahead, and be slow enough on the runway that you have to add power to taxi clear. Seems obvious, but it isn't always so.

avweb.com had some good articles on flying in ice

metroliner guys get it in cruise in the caribbean.

a brasilia went out of control from ice picked up over the bahamas a few years ago

Latest resources

Back