Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Geoff Huppe

nobscot
Ok...here goes...I am 48 years old and an 18 year veteran inner city high school teacher. Before that I was a Naval Officer(shipboard). I have made the decision and have taken on Aviation full time and have left my education career. I have put the time and money in and am now a CFI (almost CFII). I really need a job as a pilot...I know the CFI thing is the way to go but I have been turned down by two (busy) flight schools because I am 6'4" and weigh 255lbs and they fly c152s. I have worked for a while at the FBO where Iwas trained but they are small and I can not build many hours there (it would take a few years). It is to the point now that I really need a job...I was told the road was not easy but I'm on it now and I refuse to get off. Bottom line is that I need help...any help. Thank you!

Check out American Flyers at KSMO. They fly 172s and the chief pilot is a good guy and ex-marine who might help out a sailor.

And I thought I was getting into it late!! I hear about folks your age being worth your weight in gold to the regionals because they know you're there to stay. I love hearing about guys like you getting into the game while at the same time, all the 20 somethings complain and get out for the pursuit of money. It's a beautiful thing.
Also, I'm right there with you regarding the frustration of working at a flight school that has very little business. Don't do it. You will miserable looking out the window at all the planes moving and knowing that you're stuck on the ground (like me right now.)

I need help too. Help moving.

Saw these guys posting on climbto350.com
www.iasco.com looking for instructors, they're in Napa. $40K/yr, they wanted CFI-CFII-MEI, but you never know. (I don't have any personal experience with them.)
Also, (don't know where you're located), try www.flightshopinc.com in Bend, OR. The CP is an ex-navy flyer. They've recently changed ownership and business name, but I think the contact phone, etc. is still the same. Good luck!

Last edited:
Geoff,
I too started on my SECOND career ...and yes it is a hard row to hoe..lol.
But there are Great flight instructor positions out there, by the way where are you located? and are you able to relocate easily? I have a few leads here in California, if your interested PM me
PC12

Latest resources

Back