Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

labbats

Zulu who?
I've noticed that a lot of times pilots will call in range with the flight attendants about 30 minutes prior to landing. Why? You've got to realize they are going to make everyone turn off all "portable electronic devices" from then on.

Why not call as you pass through 10000 feet or getting vectored for final approach?

I've noticed that a lot of times pilots will call in range with the flight attendants about 30 minutes prior to landing. Why? You've got to realize they are going to make everyone turn off all "portable electronic devices" from then on.

Why not call as you pass through 10000 feet or getting vectored for final approach?

your asking this and your a 121 guy? plus, I haven't noticed anyone calling 30 out.

1) below 10,000ft is sterile
2) Do you really think being vectored to final is the best time to talk with the FA?
3) If you were getting line checked, would you tell your fellow pilot while getting vectored to final in ORD, "Hey I'll be off for a little bit to talk with her/him"
4) if she isn't cute, why bother?

I call about 15 minutes out. In almost 16 years in the business I don't recall ever seeing anyone call in range 30 minutes out.

It only seems to happen when I'm commuting in the back and right near the end of a good movie.

I call about 15 minutes out. In almost 16 years in the business I don't recall ever seeing anyone call in range 30 minutes out.

Actually, it happens all the time. I know exactly why labbats is so frustrated. I'd say it happens about 40-50% of the time. Really frustrating when you're sitting next to some loser who wants to talk and you've been avoiding him the whole time by listening to your iPod. As soon as the iPod goes off, he's got five thousand moronic questions to ask you.

That said, you can't do it when being vectored for final, labbats. It has to be done no later than 10,000 for sterile. But 10k is a lot better than the 25-30 mins that a lot of guys do.

You guys must sit next to a lot of inquisitive passengers or I just look grumpy. I think I've had one or two passengers in the last year commuting every week actually ask me anything about airlines/airplanes/thermal dynamics/astrology.

I've flown with a lot of guys who'll bang on the lights and belts while descending through 180, but cleared to 10 or above. That signals the FA to make "the announcement." I see this a lot in the back, too. I know we're still screaming down at 320KIAS and the dreaded PA comes on and the fun's over.

If it's bumpy going in, I always make a descent PA in concert with turning on the belts, then double-ding at 10 to cue the FA for the arrival and associated cabin prep.

It's just laziness on behalf of the pilots, or overzealousness of the FAs that make commuting/nonrevving a less-than-pleasant experience. How 'bout kicking off the belts in a smooth climb w/o having to wait for the stuggle to 330 so the 'belt nazi' won't gripe at the pax for getting their laptops out of the overheads above 10!?

How 'bout kicking off the belts in a smooth climb w/o having to wait for the stuggle to 330 so the 'belt nazi' won't gripe at the pax for getting their laptops out of the overheads above 10!?

I always try to wait enough time for the "belt nazi" to get done with their service before the belt sign get turned off. Turn it off too early and too many pax try to go to the lav which means the "belt nazi" has to move the cart to allow them to pass in the isle making more work on them and since I have to deal with the "belt nazi" for 4 days I try to keep them happier than the guy who cant wait 25 mins to get his laptop out of the overhead when he could have put it under the seat and got it any time he wanted.

I've noticed that a lot of times pilots will call in range with the flight attendants about 30 minutes prior to landing. Why?

Call in range with the flight attendant? We chime the FA about 10 minutes out with the approach checklist. That is there sign to make the "electronic device" announcement.

I guess I was under the impression it depended on companies. At Comair we don't turn the seat belt sign on until 10,000 (some Captains want it sooner, but it's still in the descent below 18,000). I commute on Chautauqua and they seem to give the speech about 30 minutes out (after they get the ATIS they seem to make an announcement and the FA's make you turn the iPod off). On my TOL-CVG flight it's about two songs (four to six minutes). Anymore I just put in ear plugs and go to sleep.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back