Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

I cant find it...Commercial limitations..

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

bobs98tlr

I know the reg but i just cant find it in the FAR's. The part that talks about what jobs you can have as a commercial rated pilot. Pipe line, CFIing, Banner tow, crop dusting, traffic watch ect......Anyone know what it is? I have looked it up today but i ran out of time. Just currious if anyone knows off the top of their head. Thanks

bobs98tlr said:
I know the reg but i just cant find it in the FAR's. The part that talks about what jobs you can have as a commercial rated pilot. Pipe line, CFIing, Banner tow, crop dusting, traffic watch ect......Anyone know what it is? I have looked it up today but i ran out of time. Just currious if anyone knows off the top of their head. Thanks

Commercial allows you to be paid for any pilot activity that does not require an ATP.

What do you mean what jobs you can have? You can have any job you want, excepting assignments that specifically require the ATP.

Corporate pilot. Test pilot. Flight instructor. Airshow demonstration pilot. Team Mascot. Freddie the flying wonderpuppie. Whatever you want.

There exists no list which tells you specifically what you can do as a commercially certificated pilot.

The list cited in 14 CFR 119.1(d)&(e) doesn't tell you what you can do...it tells you what operations are excluded from Part 119. Part 119 applies to commercial operators (charter, airline), which have their own regulation anyway.

As a commercially certificated pilot, you have very little restriction on what you can do, so long as you're qualified to do it. If you intend to conduct an operation that's covered under other regulations (such as flying persons or property on demand from one point to another for compensation in a charter arrangement), then you must also meet the requirements of those regulations.

Part 119 applies to air carriers and charter (airlines, charter companies, etc). It applies to aircraft used in air commerce with more than 20 seats or a max payload of more than 6,000 lbs. It applies to aircraft operations conducted under Parts 121, 125, or 135. It doesn't apply to most other operations.

§ 119.1 Applicability.
(d) This part does not govern operations conducted under part 91, subpart K (when common carriage is not involved) nor does it govern operations conducted under part 129, 133, 137, or 139 of this chapter.
(e) Except for operations when common carriage is not involved conducted with airplanes having a passenger-seat configuration of 20 seats or more, excluding any required crewmember seat, or a payload capacity of 6,000 pounds or more, this part does not apply to -
(1) Student instruction;
(2) Nonstop sightseeing flights conducted with aircraft having a passenger seat configuration of 30 or fewer, excluding each crewmember seat, and a payload capacity of 7,500 pounds or less, that begin and end at the same airport, and are conducted within a 25 statute mile radius of that airport; however, for nonstop sightseeing flights for compensation or hire conducted in the vicinity of the Grand Canyon National Park, Arizona, the requirements of SFAR 50-2 of this part or 14 CFR part 119, as applicable, apply;
(3) Ferry or training flights;
(4) Aerial work operations, including -
(i) Crop dusting, seeding, spraying, and bird chasing;
(ii) Banner towing;
(iii) Aerial photography or survey;
(iv) Fire fighting;
(v) Helicopter operations in construction or repair work (but it does apply to transportation to and from the site of operations); and
(vi) Powerline or pipeline patrol;
(5) Sightseeing flights conducted in hot air balloons;
(6) Nonstop flights conducted within a 25-statute-mile radius of the airport of takeoff carrying persons or objects for the purpose of conducting intentional parachute operations.
(7) Helicopter flights conducted within a 25 statute mile radius of the airport of takeoff if -
(i) Not more than two passengers are carried in the helicopter in addition to the required flightcrew;
(ii) Each flight is made under day VFR conditions;
(iii) The helicopter used is certificated in the standard category and complies with the 100-hour inspection requirements of part 91 of this chapter;
(iv) The operator notifies the FAA Flight Standards District Office responsible for the geographic area concerned at least 72 hours before each flight and furnishes any essential information that the office requests;
(v) The number of flights does not exceed a total of six in any calendar year;
(vi) Each flight has been approved by the Administrator; and
(vii) Cargo is not carried in or on the helicopter;
(8) Operations conducted under part 133 of this chapter or 375 of this title;
(9) Emergency mail service conducted under 49 U.S.C. 41906; or
(10) Operations conducted under the provisions of § 91.321 of this chapter.

Part 119 lists the jobs you can have WITHOUT having a certificate, which is what I think BOBS98TLR. A legitimate question and I knew exactly what he meant, let's not belittle the guy. Geez, Avbug...

Avbug thats everything i needed. I found it last night at work. Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:
citabriapilot said:
Part 119 lists the jobs you can have WITHOUT having a certificate, which is what I think BOBS98TLR.

No it doesn't. Like the man said, it lists the *operations* that somone may engage in without an *operating* certificate. It does not say anything about what *jobs* you can have as the holder of a commercial certificate.

Now, this may sound like a minor semantic point to you, but it is not. The trouble is that many confuse the two and it leads to very peculiar (and incorrect) notions, like: You can't hang up a flyer seeking employment as a pilot, because then you would be "holding out" which requires a 135 certificate

Pretty stupid, right? It is, but there really are pilots who beleive this, and it is because they don't understand the distinction between pilot certification and operator certification.

Thank you A2

Understanding all that commercial stuff for the first time is just crazy. As a commercial pilot you can fly any "JOB." For many there are minima to be aware of. That just takes knowing which "operations" have additional requirements beyond 119. But knowing part 119 is a great start.

Most of this falls back on the "Owner of Operator." As the pilot you just need to know what type of ops it is to know if you meet the minim.

Man, the more I try to simplify it the more I get confused. I'm a lousy CFI.

Tonala2k said:
Most of this falls back on the "Owner of Operator." As the pilot you just need to know what type of ops it is to know if you meet the minim.
Maybe. The word "operator" is defined broadly enough to encompass the pilot. So it's not necessarily a free ride if you are piloting and the "owner" hasn't dotted the proper "i's" or crossed the right "t's"

Man, the more I try to simplify it the more I get confused. I'm a lousy CFI.
Nah. I remember taking the commercial written and going through Part 119/135 questions and thinking,"Man, is this oversimplified!" "Simple" stuff like pilot qualifications under Part 61 can be confusing; but when we start getting into operations for hire, remember that we're are dealing with a heavily-regulated industry. FAA or SEC or EPA, or Federal Reserve, government regulation breeds in own special type of confusion.

Latest resources

Back