I am interested in applying with the FAA, looking for info

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SkyJockcl65

Would like to hear from anyone who has, in the last few years, made the move from 121 airlines to the FAA. Very seriously considering applying and looking for all the information that I can get. Feel free to respond here or to my personal email: [email protected]

Thanks

There is a posted process listed on faajobs.gov.

If you want to actually be hired, you MUST know someone at the FSDO you want to work at. Complete the online applications, print out extra copies of the results, have someone walk in your resume to the manager responsible for the vacant position, get called for an interview, present your printout from the website to the manager who can then request you be hired through regional.

Many ASI jobs are filled before the listing ever appears online--got to know someone inside the FSDO to even know they are, or might be looking.

No one gets hired after July. No money in the budget! October 1st is often the start date, which may be delayed based upon FAA reauthorization. It was last time.

All budgets are controlled by region, so just because they want you and have an opening doesn't mean there is money to pay you!

If you apply online only, some clerk in region decides if you get to be part of a list of 10-20 names forwarded to the district office. Often times, that is just for show, they have already picked whom they want via the backdoor process I described.

Every office, district, and region is somewhat different. Your mileage may vary.

--Inconceivable, Air Carrier Assistant Program Manager, xxx FSDO, 2002-2006.

Just met someone, no really not a friend of a second cousins friends sister, that started with a FSDO yesterday.

Go to faa.gov and job search for Aviation Safety Inspector.

The application is available after you create a user account, etc.

You will need three references, job history, etc.

It took me about four hours to complete the application.

It's pretty straight forward.

If you're in the Northwest/Mountain region the posting expires on 8/31/07.

Others are available into 2008.

The application is a three step process.

It isn't complete until you've filled out a 65, as I recall, questionaire.

Starting pay is at the 12 level which is about 57K. Some areas have a percentage increase such as Seattle which is 16%.

You're on probation for one year.

I'm told it takes about 3 years to become fully qualified which should take you to the 14 level which is about 74K.

I've spoken with several ASI's in the past few years and they indicate that there's flex schedules and some virtual work available.

You'll have to take a checkride. My aquantance just did that in Dallas in a Seneca. This aquantance is going into the GA side so I don't know what kind of checkride will be required for the for Air Carrier side.

It's an online application only. Face time at the FSDO might help. The interview was telephone only.

Good luck.

I applied online in 2005.

They posted a job opening in April 2007 for ASI - Air Carrier (MSP). I went through the interview process and the simulation evaluation. Was hired and start on the 20th.

The simulator was in Dallas at SWA Training Center. B737-300 Classic.

Last edited:
In order to be considered for the General Aviation area of the FSDO you will also need a current CFI certificate.

Thanks to all that have responded. Working on completing the online application. Hope to finish it up next week, have to work on it a little bit at a time around my airline schedule. If anyone would care to contact me further with any suggestions and perhaps what their hiring process/experience was like it would be greatly appreciated. Hoping to find a position with the DFW FSDO as an Aviation Safety Inspector

Feel free to respond here or to my personal email: [email protected]

Thanks

Latest resources

Back