How's everybody doing out here?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hitting the water

NJW, the youngest we have had on the river was a 9 year old girl. We ran the Big Horn Sheep Canyon and they are mostly class 3's with a few 4's depending on the water flow. Last year they had a good flow where this run was actually almost all 4's and 4+. This is the company that we go with http://www.royalgorgerafting.net/index.html We have been using them for several years. They also have a restaurant/bar there so when you are done, you can wind down with some food and drink of choice.

FB, thanks for the advice and research help. All my questions were answered on the website. Anna, our youngest, is 8 1/2 so your recommendation eases my mind. The half day Big Horn would work just fine for our first time out. Fun things to do at the White Water B&G afterwards, too. Oh...Just one more question, guys. Paddle or oar? Having the option in the oar boat sounds good, but not if it felt like less than the real thing. On the other hand, for first-timers w/kids is it best that the trip doesn't rely on us to maneuver the raft? I value your input. NJW

I just turned down a high 6 figure job offer outside of aviation, betting on keeping my flying job, which I thoroughly enjoy. We'll see.....

I hope it works out. There's a lot to be said for job satisfaction and lifestyle. NJW

My LTLOA was just approved (Aug 2012). Mil duty for me. I'm planning to continue on military leave after that. I'll see you guys in 8 years or so!

I'll miss flying with everyone!

Congrats on the approval. Having military retirement has made a big difference for my family. The peace of mind, alone, is worth a lot. Keep us posted on the highlights of your adventures. Take care, NJW

It has been Feast or Famine for me...

...flying my tail off the past two tours :eek:or staying home and watching the house being built or on the baseball diamond letting all my stress disappear throwing, hitting and running around.:beer:
Either way it has been a good summer. I hope this is an indicator for things to come with all.

HSF, I'm glad to hear that you're having a good summer. A new house for your young family...nice! As for flying, bring on the feast!!

Summer Family Project
Here's a tip for those with kids who want more space but a new home isn't possible. Swap their bedrooms. Usually the oldest gets the biggest room, but these days a computer and/or a TV provide plenty of entertainment in a small space while kids who still play w/toys, though younger, need more room. We recently swapped bedrooms for our 13 yr old son and 8 yr old daughter. It's working great. If you can throw in new (for them) furniture or decor -- even better. Cheers, NJW

HSF, I'm glad to hear that you're having a good summer. A new house for your young family...nice! As for flying, bring on the feast!!

Summer Family Project
Here's a tip for those with kids who want more space but a new home isn't possible. Swap their bedrooms. Usually the oldest gets the biggest room, but these days a computer and/or a TV provide plenty of entertainment in a small space while kids who still play w/toys, though younger, need more room. We recently swapped bedrooms for our 13 yr old son and 8 yr old daughter. It's working great. If you can throw in new (for them) furniture or decor -- even better. Cheers, NJW

A good suggestion NJW, I will keep that in the data banks for future reference..for now the new house then the new puppy will suffice, lord help the missus!

FB, thanks for the advice and research help. All my questions were answered on the website. Anna, our youngest, is 8 1/2 so your recommendation eases my mind. The half day Big Horn would work just fine for our first time out. Fun things to do at the White Water B&G afterwords, too. Oh...Just one more question, guys. Paddle or oar? Having the option in the oar boat sounds good, but not if it felt like less than the real thing. On the other hand, for first-timers w/kids is it best that the trip doesn't rely on us to maneuver the raft? I value your input. NJW

The 1/2 day trip is what we did the last time also and it was plenty for the little one. I recommend doing the 1pm trip as the water feels good with the warmth of the sun. I also recommend the Paddle. With the Oar trip, you just kind of sit there and the guide does all the work. Part of the fun is actually working the river. We always get a group of 6-8 together so we know everyone in the raft. On this last trip, they put the kid in the middle up front. She was such a trooper. She had a blast.

Go get that full-time retirement pay and have fun. We'll keep the light on for ya. Good luck brother. What will you be flying to have fun?

I'd go back in (retired guard 2007) and do six years to earn my full-time retirement pay, but the wife doesn't want me to deploy anymore. I don't want to be away in that fashion or that long either. The army spends way to much time away for their deployments. Unlucky for me a reserve fixed wing unit is moving to within a 30 minute drive from my house too. Maybe I can get her to see point of view and go back in? Army Reserves are in need of qualified fixed wing guys.

C-5s for now although I might be switching to the mighty KC-135. I'll be doing orders at my reserve unit. It will be tough for me to achieve a full active duty retirement but I'll be banking some serious points towards the reserve retirement. There is a new rule now that for each 90 days of orders that you do, it reduces your reserve retirement age by that amount. I figure if I can stay on orders for 4-5 years (no guarantees) that will get my retirement age from 60 down to 55 or so. Not a bad deal.

FB, that's exactly the advice I needed. Paddle it is. It would be more fun to be with people you know. We have neighbors/friends also w/2 kids the same ages as ours. We're planning a camping trip together. From your experience, could our group fit in one raft? Will the water still be fun next month?

...for now the new house then the new puppy will suffice, lord help the missus!

Yes, she must have her hands full. Getting a house built can be an exciting, but stressful, process. Your baby is probably a toddler now, right? Fun times!

Latest resources

Back