Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How will the recession affect corporate/charter?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My company has hit rock bottom withthe housing problems and recession. We are still making $2 billion a year (down from $4 billion a few years ago) and we are flying more than ever as they work to fix problems in our stores. If our department can survive this then I don't ever see us having a layoff in the future.

I felt the same way

My company has hit rock bottom withthe housing problems and recession. We are still making $2 billion a year (down from $4 billion a few years ago) and we are flying more than ever as they work to fix problems in our stores. If our department can survive this then I don't ever see us having a layoff in the future.
I felt the same way until the lay off, we flew a lot prior them pulling the plug.

I felt the same way until the lay off, we flew a lot prior them pulling the plug.

Well, you never know anymore in any business. Only executives have job security (with their contracts and buyouts, they always land on their feet).

Often the numbers you see have nothing to do with the departments longevity.

Often the numbers you see have nothing to do with the departments longevity.

True. Any Fortune 50 corporation will have any aircraft they want for as long as they want it. If they decide to get rid of a flight department it will have nothing to do with the actual cost of the department. It could be shareholders, bad flight department management (which you often see), or just a whim..... They could replace it with a management company, a fractional, or just the airlines. Nothing we can do about it.

I am often reminded of two meetings that I attended many years ago. At one, it was a group of corporate executives in a midwestern city and a number of them had aircraft. Interest rate levels were high and all were concerned about the economy and where things were going. Several were discussing canning their aircraft and using mine on a charter/block time basis.
That same week, I attended an aviation meeting in the same town and because our flight operations were under my position. You would of thought you were in a different country. All of them were looking for newer bigger aircraft and their departments were going to be hiring. Many of those companies and flight departments do not exist today.
I have already seen three significant aircraft sold and the people let go in the first quarter of the year.
It is rarely that a company cannot afford the aircraft but deteriorating margins that bring the department down.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back